TT setup?

blueta

I was wondering if I were to flip the drivers side header upside down would it fit? I had some ideas to go twins but instead of just ripping it apart ask if someone knows. Thanks.

Honestly, you are going to go faster cheaper with the single setup. Saying this, I am considering flipping some shorties and makeing my turbo a front mount. I don't think it's a good way to do things, and I probably wont really end up doing it.

Yeah, I know it's cheaper/easier to do it the other way, but I like to be different :) I was also considering flipping the drivers header and running the normal up pipe spot on the pass. side together with a y pipe in front of the engine into the turbo...Like a front mount as you said. I have no idea if this would give an advantage or not but It would sure look neat and wouldn't be too hard to hook up a cooler to it and put the tb on the pressure side :D

I have plans to do this for pipe routing, and to have the tb on the pressure side. I still think it will be difficult though.

I would say having a hot-air buick is nearly rare enough. I'm a very practical person, and I like to do things for a purpose. I figured that most people purchased these cars to go fast, but apparently not as many as I thought were wanting to go fast cheap. One thing I will never understand are the hot-air or die people. However, maybe one of them will chime in and set me straight.

I was mostly thinking about it for not just having the turbo up front, but for things like non limited turbo size, ease of intercooler, tb relocation...

Well, if I ever do it. It won't start until August at the earliest, I'll be sure to post with my progress. If you give it a shot, you should do so as well.

Now that the thread has gotten this far into the topic, I'll jump in and shoot holes in it!!! ;)

It won't work...the exhaust ports aren't equally spaced...You can flip them only if you turn them upside down and switch sides with them...ie driver's to pass and vice versa...

hehehe...Nice try...

hmmm, if you could somehow make something work, that would be real interesting...Then you need to figure out where/how to mount all the accessories...

Some told me that the 86/7 lower intake wouldn't fit/work with the 84/5 turbo in the stock location...They were wrong...

Let us know what you find out... :)

Good Luck!!!

I'll look into it some more...As far as accy. brackets I could always make some as I can weld and have access to lots of stuff ;) This wasn't a sure fire thing I was gonna do...just some tinkering and possibly do it if I can find out how to do it...lol

Originally posted by mycarsucks
......One thing I will never understand are the hot-air or die people. However, maybe one of them will chime in and set me straight.
I'll chime in :) No intention of setting anyone straight, just to offer some insight as far as my particular situation. This subject has come up a couple times recently. I have nothing against intercooling hotair cars. If I dont sell my 2nd hotair car I may opt to do it to that one, who knows.
My first experience in a TR was in a hotair, and that was all I needed to see to be hooked. When I acquired the car in my sig I didnt know enough about the differences of the 84-87s (also didnt have much money to work with). Basically had to build the car with a engine purchase from one place and the body and tranny from another along with parts picked up along the way. If I knew more at the time I probably would have tried to get a 86/87 (if I could gather up the loot of course). However, once getting the hotair car up and going I quickly noticed how rare it was especially when at club meetings around all intercooled guys. Thats one reason to keep it hotair....its different. Im different, and I like different:) Another reason is the challenge of achieving what everyone says you cant with this underdog of a car ;) Dan Smith was the only guy around here (been quite a while now) who was known for even taking the time to make a hotair car go fast, until he [in his words] "got tired of being the slowest car (TR) at the track" and bolted on the 87 goodies. Im pretty sure he broke into the 12s way back when in hotair form. I figured I needed to take it to another level from where he left off and show what I think the car should/could be able to do. Its not going to be easy but hey, the reward would be greater IMO than just converting. Put it this way, if I convert this car there are NO hotair cars currently around here that race at the track :eek: and havent been since...... Dan Smith:confused:
ALSO, I have had in my possesion a 87 drivetrain for sometime now. I could have made the swap whenever I wanted to. Its waiting for a different car ;)

Ok, guys below if the kind of setup I am considering, but not dead set on.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16096

Now, I don't plan on having side exhit or anything like that one, it's just an example. The mustang guys don't appear to have anywhere near the room we have up front. Once you get the mechanical fan off, and get rid of the shroud at least. I'm about 215lbs and I know I fit inbetween there at least. (I'm a couple hundred miles away from my car right now, so I can't take any measurements)

However, if you'll look here:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/120590165/120619198ghzgjj

That gent has a picture that shows alot of the room. (keep in mind I have a front mounted powerstroke IC)

Think its possible? I know some of the mustang guys that can't get them to fit end up relocating the battery and using a bit of that space.