TT/A Convertibles

dsmith4994

I could not buy a TT/A convertible. So I am going to make a clone out of this 1992 GTA Trans Am Convertible. Any help with possible issues i will encounter welcome. Any and all, The good, the bad and the ugly. Let me have what you got. 89 aero Trim fit? Interior looks a little different, Stress going to be a problem? How do i reinforce it? Will the TT/A engine harnes plug and play? GN engine or TT/A engine i have both not sure which i want to go with yet....Dave

Attachments

• trans am vert3.jpg
    trans am vert3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 205
A convertible with a turbo V6 or any high perf engine for that matter needs sub frame connectors, a wonder bar, 3 point strut tower brace,tubular panhard bar at least.

Convertibles can't use just any subframe connector as they have modified rocker panels. You could fab up your own or use the TDS connectors.

You'll be needing a different crossmember and maybe torque arm(can't remember for sure if the 700 and 200 are the same).

You probably have an AC car, and since it's a 'vert, who uses the AC? So I'd get the non air box. or just delete the heater core alltogether and put a flat plate across that opening. This way you could use the GN heads.

PM Me, it's not plug and play. I did a 92 Z28. you'll be going from speed density to MAF and there are about 17 changes needed and new circuits ran, plus your air bag circuitry is where some of the TTA wiring is supposed to be.
Your VSS on that car goes through the computer, the VSS on a TTA is an external buffer box. (you'll need that to work for your lockup torque converter and cruse control)
I have the hand written notes from us re wiring my 92 they will probably help you.
You'll want the 92 helms manual, the TTA manual and the 89 firebird manual to figure out the wiring. Use TTA Heads and TTA pistons if you want your Air to work and unless you get TTA AC lines you'll need to have them made. I have a spare ATR TTA downpipe and new TTA heads if you need them. Your tach will be off but all the other gauges can be made to work. I think you'll have to use your old oil pressure sensor too with an adapter.
It's 6:00am and I'm about to crash but I'll be happy to help or let you pick my brain regarding the swap. (ps I had a 91 T/A T5 Vert loved it and hate to say it but there were no 91/92 GTA verts, your car is a T/A) No offense. Front springs are different too, and if you want the 3.27 rear they can be had but finding 1LE front brakes might be tricky. hell my Z28 is starting to rust.... how much you want for that? :D

Mike Arrigo @ turbotransam.com did this to an iroc convert long before there was internet.
He had it all from Engine to interior. Lots of people were scratching their head.

It was quite awsome.