TRW Turbo Hypereutectic Pistons

skylarkstage1

I am in need of input regarding the current turbo hypereutectic pistons offered by TRW. Looking at installing these in a production 4.1 Buick motor instead of custom pistons due to a tight budget. Any of you using these pistons in your engine? What is the max boost you can safely go using these hyper pistons? Anybody in the low 11's or high 10's using these pistons?

As far as I know, TRW does not offer forged pistons for the Buick 4.1 (252) engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The TRW hypers are a stout peice, but as with any hyper piston they are brittle and have a tendancy to self destruct when subject to detonation. I have a customer that has gone low 10's in his GN with them, but his tune up is dead on. I think for the power you are looking to make,you will be fine with them provided the tune up is good,But I would recommend a forged piston if you can afford it ,just because they are more forgiving, and for peace of mind. Andrew

Call Kenny Duttweiler. He'll know where to send you. He built my uncles 10.0 sec buick engine. It had a 4.1 N/A motor....actually I think it was like a 272 cube motor, that spun 10,000 rpm through the traps. I doubt those were hypers. Many of you know this car as the N/A buick regal cop car. He sold it to some sheriff back in the early 90's who turned it into a black and white. It used to be red.

I have them in my car for 3 years now 24psi of boost on Alky and they are fine. It's all about the tune. Just don't run lean you'll be fine. Look up Banning on tbs.com in the MAGNA section. He's been beating the balls out of those pistons in the 10's for some time now. I like em!