Truck & Trailer Tire Recommendations?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Looking for advice on new truck & trailer tires. Need tires that will last.

Dodge/Cummins 3/4 ton, 4x4 with 285/75/16 tires

Car hauler trailer has 225/75/15 tires.

My truck has a nice set of Michelin tires that I bought at the end of 2010. Has a bit over 9K miles on them. Been exposed to outside weather every day. Excellent tread depth but has some side wall cracking. Need to make a trip across the desert hauling a trailer. Really don't want to buy 4 new tires, but I don't want one to fail either. Truck is mostly street driven. Some dirt, rock, snow, ice, driving. Try to avoid mud & sand. Truck is to heavy for the loose stuff.

Trailer is a 2009 10K GVW cargo / car hauler trailer. Probably has less than 1K miles on the tires. DOT code looks like 2008. Need 4 new 10-ply E load rating tires. Probably going to be towed for about 1300 miles & either sold, or used as a storage shed for a while.

What do you all recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use nitto terra grapplers on my truck, similar truck, Dmax 2500 ccsb. I run 305/55/20 which is basically a 33-12.5. I strictly tow with them, 20' enclosed car hauler. Haul everything from lightweight 2k lb race cars to 6000lb Rolls Royces. Get about 60-70k on a set of tires. Used to run the Falken wild peak and liked them a lot but they changed the tread pattern up and now I don't like them as much. After this set of Nittos are wore out I plan on trying their Dura grappler which is. Ore street oriented compared to the all terrain of the terra graps. A tire to me has to last, be quiet, still perform well and feel solid (not squishy and soft while driving) and be good in the wet (Florida rain). In that order.

I know what you mean about the cracking on the michelins. EVERY set from passenger car tires to truck tires do that. I don't get it. My wife's SRX has michelins and they are already starting. Tires still seem fine but it's still annoying and a little unnerving.

For trailer tires....I run the best of cheapest ones I can buy. Meaning there are some cheap ones that I don't run, but the cheap ones that I've found work really well are called Trailer King. I get them in a load range E and I usually get them for about $55 a tire. I've had brand new ones blow out (very rare) and I've had some that refuse to die. If you're going to sell the trailer then just get a set of those. Heard mixed reviews about the Goodyear marathons and they cost a good bit more. I've contemplated going up to a 16" rim and running a light truck tire...but haven't gotten there yet. Most of the time when I lose a trailer tire it's from the inner belts breaking and the tire turns into a round dounut. The belts break from having heavy loads in the trailer and having to make u-turns. Just tears the tires apart.

Btw, truck/trailer averages about 100k miles a year.

My two sets of michelin LTX MS2 cracked on sidewalls well before they wore out of tread. But they were great tires in 275 55 20 on my 1/2 ton suburban. My 3/4 ton suburban has LT 265 75 16 BFG TA KO2. Really quiet on the interstate, but soft and handle snow/ice/sand/mud well.

I had BF Goodrich Tires on my 2001 2500 Cummins and those tires were fantastic. Rode nice, no road noise, and were great in snow/mud. They are expensive but they lasted a lot longer than any other tire I ran. They also wore evenly too.

I have the Michelin LTX MS2's on my Excursion and there's been no cracking of any sort. But then again I don't allow my vehicles to sit out in the elements.

I just purchased some good year endurance trailer tires in 225/75/15. They are load range E and I believe the only trailer tires manufactured in the USA. It's a new trailer tire from Goodyear. They have a special on good year.com I got $100 off a set of four.
I have tried every trailer tire known to man and they all suck. Just blew two maxxis trailer tires on my boat trailer over Memorial Day weekend. They were only two years old the tread separated and came completely off one.
My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks swear by the Firestone Transforce tires for heavy hauling. I swear by the Bridgestone AT Revo 2s for my half ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased some good year endurance trailer tires in 225/75/15. They are load range E and I believe the only trailer tires manufactured in the USA. It's a new trailer tire from Goodyear. They have a special on good year.com I got $100 off a set of four.
I have tried every trailer tire known to man and they all suck. Just blew two maxxis trailer tires on my boat trailer over Memorial Day weekend. They were only two years old the tread separated and came completely off one.
My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks swear by the Firestone Transforce tires for heavy hauling. I swear by the Bridgestone AT Revo 2s for my half ton.

I've had experience with the AT Revo 2's. No thanks.

For trailer tires they all suck. I have found keeping the speed down to 60-65 mph has helped save tires.

I have an open car hauler thats rated for 7klbs and even went to a 225 e rated tire for the piece of mind that i will never over load them. The trailer lives in enclosed storge so no dry rot and they lasted 3ish years with mabe 5k miles. Every trip for the last year i have had one blow out and now all the tires are not the same brand.