Trouble yanking a Small block out of a 65 Chevelle.

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
This small block is giving us problems pulling it out. Everything was going well till the headers were giving us troubles.....finally gave up and used a saws-all a chopped it off. Have a cherry picker with a tilt on it. Pulled the muncie off the back of the bell housing. Bell housing is still on the block. The oil pan is a wide sump pan. This is giving us problems. Engine will not lift up far enough to slide it forward to pull it out. The sides of the pan are hitting the front cross member. Not sure if we should try to pull the bell housing off and pull it straight up or try to pull the oil pan. It's been about 3 decades since any of us have pulled a small block. Any advice?

Pull the bellhousing first. It will be very messy with the oil pan off.

Or if you do decide to pull oil pan put a regular one on with a couple bolts to avoid the mess.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Did you jack the front end up off the ground. The angle helps pull the motor out just like taking the starter off.

Got the small block out....... now time for the big block to go in........ any lessons learned you guys have?

Lay the headers in there before you drop the block in, then bolt em on after you have the engine mounts bolted in.
Are you sure the valve cover will clear the brake booster and mc? What about the steering shaft?
Is the radiator big enough to cool it?

Headers w the steering shaft will be the biggest bitch. Im sure theres aftermarket ones you can.buy but if.youre doing big primaries thatll be ya problem

Would like to convert to a vacuum system and front discs. Looks like it might be a tight fit. Would I need a special kit?

The factory may or may not have done it. I believe there were 201 65 chevelles gm built with a 396 . Not sure if any had power brakes.

I converted an original 66 Chevelle SS 396 to vacuum brakes, Use the small diameter dual booster I believe it was either 7 or 9 inchs

Thanks....know were to start. Just having trouble finding a dang externally balanced flywheel for the mk iv 454. Got everything else to get it on the road.

I installed a 427 in a 65 chevelle wagon back in 1970 it had factory air, ps and pb, turbo 400 easy swap, mt headers, good luck. oc,

Z-16
Z-11 was a big car with a w motor punched out to 427 I believe.