Transmission Upgrade - When, What, Why?

Jonasterg

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
After doing some reading and research, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to upgrade my transmission before anything breaks.

Right now I've got a stock transmission with about 6000 miles on it. It feels fine and doesn't seem to have any issues. However, I'm putting about 400 hp through it and don't want to get stranded on the highway with a broken car.

Sounds like the general opinion of the community is that EA is a fantastic vendor, and lots of board members use Lonnie's stuff. I'll probably go that route. I don't plan on going faster than low 11's (no more than 500 hp). His 200-4R Stage 1 seems to be the best match with my performance and combo.

My car is mostly street driven (weekend cruiser) but may see a few passes per year at the track (maybe a half dozen). I don't drive it too often, maybe 2000 miles per year. I'd like to maintain excellent street manners, even if that means sacrificing performance in the quarter mile (i.e. lockup vs non-lockup).

1. Is it time to upgrade my stock transmission? Do I run the current transmission until it develops a problem?

2. Will a transmission like the 200-4R Stage 1 match my goals and use-case?

3. Should I save for the transmission upgrade before doing any other performance-oriented modifications (i.e. PTE SLIC, 60 lb injectors, more boost)?

I appreciate any advice you all can provide.

Lonnie is by far the best I've dealt with. He backs his products every time. Good dude!

I personally would just buy the Stage 2 trans. With the billet drum and dual feed, it's hard to break. I cant remember exactly but I think I've had 8 or so Stage 2's through my hands in the past year. It's an excellent trans for the money and we have had great success in all of our installs so far! We have put some nice HP numbers through them and have had no failures to date.

Just remember one thing, a good trans is always worth more than a broken one. I'd replace it while it's still good.

After doing some reading and research, I've come to the conclusion that it's time to upgrade my transmission before anything breaks.

Right now I've got a stock transmission with about 6000 miles on it. It feels fine and doesn't seem to have any issues. However, I'm putting about 400 hp through it and don't want to get stranded on the highway with a broken car.

Sounds like the general opinion of the community is that EA is a fantastic vendor, and lots of board members use Lonnie's stuff. I'll probably go that route. I don't plan on going faster than low 11's (no more than 500 hp). His 200-4R Stage 1 seems to be the best match with my performance and combo.

My car is mostly street driven (weekend cruiser) but may see a few passes per year at the track (maybe a half dozen). I don't drive it too often, maybe 2000 miles per year. I'd like to maintain excellent street manners, even if that means sacrificing performance in the quarter mile (i.e. lockup vs non-lockup).

1. Is it time to upgrade my stock transmission? Do I run the current transmission until it develops a problem?

2. Will a transmission like the 200-4R Stage 1 match my goals and use-case?

3. Should I save for the transmission upgrade before doing any other performance-oriented modifications (i.e. PTE SLIC, 60 lb injectors, more boost)?

I appreciate any advice you all can provide.

Just my opinion but if EA is who you would use, call em. Let him know where you are and where you are going and from what I've read, he will shoot straight with you. A good rule of thumb I use for planning a build is to be sure each component will stand up to the most extreme stress that it will be operated under. In most situations this is more important than miles driven or number of trips down the strip.
Bob

Appreciate the feedback. I'll call EA/Lonnie later this week (time permitting) and discuss. I'll need to wait at least a month or two before doing anything but it's good to have a plan that I can work toward.

Since the prices on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 are similar, maybe the S2 is the right answer for me (do it once and not have to re-do it in a few years when my goals change). I'll keep the current transmission in good shape (drive gently) until I can swap. At that point, hopefully I'll find a good home for the stock transmission.

With you owning one of these cars get the best tranny you can afford. You may not need a full billet one but the fact that you're not going to break any hard parts will set your mind at ease. Do it once, do it right, and then service it on a regular basis and you should be fine. One other thing I'd like to add is an old quote that I've seen more than once.
Build it for the low 10's and run it in the 11's and it will last all day. Build it for the 11's and when you hit 10's it will blow up.:eek: