Transmission troubles

hiboom

Hiboom
Well I've managed to twist my second forward drum shaft off in less than 50 miles trans worked fine for 2 years now I can't seem to keep one together is there something causing this besides my right foot ? the cars not making any more horsepower than before just seems to want to keep twisting the shaft off I will put a steel one in if it will fix it but don't want to spend that kind of money if something is causing the shafts to twist other than being the weak link.

Weak link, sometimes things are worth it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Weak link, sometimes things are worth it.

Guess I should have listen but the first one lasted so well didnt plan on running the car hard enough to be breaking things just an occasional wot blast every once in awhile it not like i power brake it a lot and bounce it off the red line a lot so I thought if the first one withstood the abuse for two years the new one would last long enough to build another one in a couple of years or so when I wanted to change turbo and convertor you know try somethinmg
Time to drop in the McClay drum. Drop in no machining.
What machine work is required with another brand of billet forward drum ??

Thanks I sent a email waiting on a price and if available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would still like to know what machine work is required with the other billet forward drums

There's no special work required. You install the sealing rings, piston/lip seals,clutches, and bushing and install as normal and reset the end play.

Would still like to know what machine work is required with the other billet forward drums

Some of them you have to cut the pilot shaft on the back of the input shaft. Some billet forward drums have a more shallow hole in the nose of the billet shaft so you have to cut the pilot on the back of the input shaft so the input shaft seats all the way in the forward drum. If you don't the overdrive drum will sit too far forward and you won't be able to seat the pump all the way.

I have both Scott's and CK's drum. Scott's is a drop in. CK's drum is not with stock input shaft. You have to machine down the pilot as others stated. Either will work.

What has changed in your transmission build? The timing is critical to keep a drum from breaking.

If you need a Billet Shafted Forward Drum, I have plenty in stock. The drum I build is a drop in piece, no cutting the pilot on the input shaft or knocking the center support bushing lower. This drum is used by most 200-4R builders. If you need one, feel free to contact me.

What has changed in your transmission build? The timing is critical to keep a drum from breaking.

If you need a Billet Shafted Forward Drum, I have plenty in stock. The drum I build is a drop in piece, no cutting the pilot on the input shaft or knocking the center support bushing lower. This drum is used by most 200-4R builders. If you need one, feel free to contact me.
It wasn't really a build it was a stage 1 transmission from lonnie (which performed great ) i twisted the forward drum shaft off .a transmission friend of mine replaced the broken part and I broke it again

Is it possible when reassembling after the drum broke the first time a mistake was made causing the drum to brake a second time it seem to shift fine and was working good let loose under heavy acceleration midway through 2nd gear

Possible but doubtful. The shafts in the forward drum are a known weakness. Some do fine for years and some twist off pulling into the driveway.
A billet shaft one can eliminate this as a problem in your transmission as I have yet to hear of one twisting off.