Transmission pan ?

regalwe4

I bought a cast aluminum transmission pan for my 87 gn and had it powdered coated and when I picked it they powdered coated inside of tranny pan also and also coated pan rails and I told them just to coat outside and my question I want to ask will be fine to use it .Also I was wondering if powder coating will hold up and not come loose on inside transmission. Thanks regalwe4 kevin

Their mistake, let them replace your trans pan. I dont know if the coating would come off but some one will give you an answer shortly.

I wouldn't want that in my pan . Fluid gets hot and the coating may come off and that wouldn't be good . I would have them clean it off or replace it .

Brush the inside of the pan with that heavy duty Kleen-Strip paint/varnish/epoxy remover. Put it in a warm place. Probably have to do it a few times. But it will come off eventually.

But I would definitely try to get the powder coater to clean it and do it again.

The powdercoater has a blasting cabinet. They can mask the outside and blast the powdercoat off the inside. Then wash it with dish soap and a lot of water to get rid of the grit and send it.

I bought a cast aluminum transmission pan for my 87 gn and had it powdered coated and when I picked it they powdered coated inside of tranny pan also and also coated pan rails and I told them just to coat outside and my question I want to ask will be fine to use it .Also I was wondering if powder coating will hold up and not come loose on inside transmission. Thanks regalwe4 kevin
Powder coating is very resilient to all forms of torture. It is extremely difficult to remove. I doubt trans fluid or heat will hurt it, but am not 100% positive of this. My concern is the pan rail is coated and doubt you will keep it from leaking. I would have them replace the pan or find someone to do laser removal.

The powdercoater has a blasting cabinet. They can mask the outside and blast the powdercoat off the inside. Then wash it with dish soap and a lot of water to get rid of the grit and send it.
I would not blast the inside of the pan, that media will never get out of the pores no matter how good it's washed. It will ruin the trans if it gets in the fluid, not worth the risk.

JMO, but powder coating an aluminum transmission pan is really defeating the purpose of the pan in the first place. The powder coat will act as a barrier and reduce the ability of the aluminum to transfer and dissipate heat.

Well the main benefit of the deep pan is to get a bottom feed filter and ditch the crappy OEM top suction filter that can suck air under acceleration. Heat shedding is secondary here. But I do agree the powder coat will be an insulator. Whether it will hold up is anyone's guess and may depend on who did it and how, and brand of powder etc. maybe mill the powder off the rail, bolt it on and check it after a few heat cycles. Filter would catch anything that came loose as long as the filter doesn't get clogged with it

I've had my Hughes Deep Transmission Pan powder coated (outside only ) & installed on my car for over 4 years now and the powder coating is holding up just fine.
Not sure about the trade off in heat dissipation though. In addition to the transmission cooler in my radiator, I am running a Low Pressure Drop external transmission cooler as well. I don't have a temperature gauge to verify, but think my temps are under control.

Attachments

• Hughes Deep Pan1.jpg
    Hughes Deep Pan1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Hughes Deep Pan2.jpg
    Hughes Deep Pan2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
The idea of using a deep pan is to get more fluid in the transmission. The pan is all about keeping the transmission cool. The more fluid, the longer it takes to heat and the easier it is to control. The pan itself acts as a heat sink and dissipates heat as air flows past it. As far as using the 700-R4 filter, it picks up from the bottom, but not the bottom of the pan. It is way better than the stock filter if you can get it to seal. It is a challenge to get them to seal, I use multiple methods and placement to get a correct seal. The powder will insulate the pan some if only on the outside. It won't hinder its cooling much. Laser removal is the best choice or maybe dustless blasting. If you mill the pan rail, it will most likely start to flake at the edges. Depends on the quality of the work. Sandblasting or glass beading the pan is a bad idea, as Steve said, you will never get media cleaned out. Not sure if an alternative media will get the coatings off. But the cost of all these option, you are only a few bucks away from buying a new one. I recommend having them pay for the pan or at least refund what you paid the coating.

When you say it's a challenge to get them to seal, are you referring to the pan gasket seal or the filter itself sealing and creating a good sump system?

When you say it's a challenge to get them to seal, are you referring to the pan gasket seal or the filter itself sealing and creating a good sump system?
The 700-R4 filter sealing at the pump. I am working on options to fix the issue for the end user.

Being that powder coating is a plastic, couldn't it be burned off? Say in an oven or possibly by something such as a propane torch?

RemoveBeforeFlight

I spoke to powder coated let today . They will not do anything about it . Not sure what I want to do now . Any other ideas . They powder coated pan rails to . Thanks for replies.

Let them know you are not satisfied and you will explain your negative experience with others. Bad news travels far and fast.
If they had corrected or will correct their mistake, good news would be the same result with possible referrals.
Good luck and I would not use that pan.

Probably your best option is to machine off the pan rails a bit if you are really concerned. The permatex oil gray sealant with a skim coat on the gasket will do it. The alum pans leak in my experience and We use the oil gray on pan side. As far as the power coating in the pan the trans fluid will not react with it. The ‘paint’ now is in the grain of the aluminum....its not coming out.