Transmission not shifting at WOT.

don86T

My transmission occasionally won’t shift into 3rd gear at WOT. It happened one time last year, then again once last night. It has only happened twice in over 100 passes. Once I lift the throttle it shifts. The transmission is a stock 2004r with a B&M shift kit. I haven’t adjusted the throttle valve cable in a while. Is it possible the cable has stretched? Or could it be the P/R valve is hanging up? Any other ideas of what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Don

Sounds like we are in the same boat. Just got a new transmission put in and it shifts great while cruising. At WOT it will not seem to shift into 3 at all. Had it at the red line and backed out and it finally shifts. I thought I was running out of fluid and added more, still same results. Played with the TV cable and didn't notice a difference at all. I've heard that with 1-2 shifts sometimes the governor spring pops off. Hoping this is an easy fix similar to that. Lonnie Diers built this tranny so I will be contacting him to see what he thinks. If I resolve my problem I will pass it along. And what is the P/V valve?

ZR1TR,
Does your transmission always not shift at WOT or occasionally? If you find the problem please let me know.

The P/R valve (pressure regulator valve)controls the line pressure. I think the B&M kit came with a new spring but I'm not sure about the valve. I need to find the instructions to check.

Don

I talked to Lonnie Diers from extreme automatics and he said to first adjust the TV cable. Move it a few clicks toward the radiator. I did that over my lunch break and it seems to be working better. Haven't had a chance to go rip a WOT run, but will this afternoon. He said to check fluid level, overfill about a quart. Also he said it wouldn't be the governor spring because it would affect all the shifts. I think mine is TV cable related. It is possible that the TV stretched or even slipped out of adjustment. I don't think I helped you any but maybe so.

Jonathan