transmission failure after installing new radiator?????

The stock transmission in turbo Buick's do not give much warning when they go. I would check for flow of fluid, pull the transmission pan, and highly recommend installing a separate transmission cooler.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hello to everybody, I am new to the forum. I own a 1987 Grand National with 26000 original miles. The original radiator was leaking so I replaced with the Alradco radiator. (The transmission acted perfectly before this radiator was installed) The mechanic hooked up all the lines correctly, triple checked them, and filled with fluids. I took my first drive with the new radiator and I think my transmission is smoked! It started with losing overdrive all together and then I had drive but it wasn't shifting smoothly. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and drove it again. This time it went into overdrive and wouldn't shift into any other gears. two days later I test drove it again, this time it would me in drive and overdrive, shift very hard into 2nd gear but i had no gears after that and the longer the car ran the worse the transmission acted.

I want some opinions please. my mechanic is telling me he thinks the transmission cooler is not working, the lines going into the radiator were scolding hot, he says that shouldn't be. The transmission fluid levels are fine and there are No Leaks anywhere. So now I can't drive the car because I think there is major internal damage to the trans from too much heat. Alradco told me that they have never had a problem with the radiators and even if there was No Cooler the transmission wouldn't overheat, I don't necessarily buy that. All opinions are Greatly Appreciated!!!
Did you watch the whole time the rad was replaced? Or did you leave the car with the mechanic? Did you take mileage readings before and after the work was done? Sorry to be the one to bring this up, it would not be the first time some unscroupulous 'mechanic' had their integrity questioned. It just reads too suspicious to me. Nothing done should have changed the way the trans works if it was done correctly.

Did you watch the whole time the rad was replaced? Or did you leave the car with the mechanic? Did you take mileage readings before and after the work was done? Sorry to be the one to bring this up, it would not be the first time some unscroupulous 'mechanic' had their integrity questioned. It just reads too suspicious to me. Nothing done should have changed the way the trans works if it was done correctly.

If the car was left unattended by you with the mechanic that is where the problem may lie. Douglee might have hit it on the head. Seriously doubt the radiator itself is at fault. It's a Turbo Regal, might have been too tempting if the mechanic took it for a "test ride" to check his work. Post back after you have checked flow thru the cooler. This has to be done to take the radiator out of the equation for the failure of the trans.

Note to self. If replacing the radiator, blow air through the trans/oil coolant fittings to make sure they aren't blocked...

I wished I had done this also but I have been around cars enough to know shit happens for no apparent reason anyway I am back running and the the radiator and trans is doing great

subscribed, I would like to hear the conclusion to this story.:confused:

Yes, you can’t leave anything out as a possible cause.

If you’re going to do a proper investigation leave no stone unturned.

First thing is checking the flow coming out of the radiator.

Check the rear wheelwels for chunks of rubber.

D

Ok folks, this is the same situation I'm currently in. I have been searching for a tranny builder assuming mine was shot. The only change I made was installing an Alradco radiator. Then my shifting issues started. Lost 3rd gear immediately. Not talking bad about the product but I'm going to put my old radiator back on and see what happens.

Ok folks, this is the same situation I'm currently in. I have been searching for a tranny builder assuming mine was shot. The only change I made was installing an Alradco radiator. Then my shifting issues started. Lost 3rd gear immediately. Not talking bad about the product but I'm going to put my old radiator back on and see what happens.

I am afraid its too late at this point to change back the radiator as what is done is done , sorry to hear about your tranny also

Not sure what's going on here? No issues with mine. I did install an external transmission cooler at the same time though. Mine is working flawlessly & has been on the car for the 2nd season so far, has not skipped a beat!
I find it hard to believe that the radiators are being blamed. Has anyone flow tested or pressure tested their transmission cooler lines to verify there is no obstructions or foreign debris ?

Unfortunately it sounds like there was some debris (or restriction) in the trans cooler (oil cooler too??) in a few of them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it sounds like there was some debris in the trans cooler (oil cooler too??) in a run of them...

I doubt that very much. Now if it could be proven that X amount of rads purchased between such and such a date and that 80% had issues then you could throw that out there.

If we could get everybody that has had trans issues within days of installation to post when they installed the rad and the date they purchased the rad it could be linked to the rad.

I checked my rad before installing it and it was perfect. That doesn't mean things [defects] don't get by, I know it happens and I hope that the rads don't end up being the culprit.

I bought mine in the middle of June and installed within a week.
No issues at all.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no one has posted up anything that would make us even give anything a second look. Speculation only. No flow test, no charge pressure data, no temp data, no pan removal with evidence of debris, no radiator with debris. This thread needs to take a turn or it's going to get locked. This is the "tech arena". Opinions don't matter much and neither do theories unless they are backed up. Anyone who has posted that they "think" the radiator is/may be the problem needs to check flow and pull the pan and look for debris and post back here their findings. Do not post here unless your posts are of a technical nature. I don't care what anyone "thinks".

I did pull my pan thinking I threw the governor spring ( not the case) and found a substantial amount of clutch debris. I'm not looking to make a bad name out of anyone so I'll leave it at that.

I did pull my pan thinking I threw the governor spring ( not the case) and found a substantial amount of clutch debris. I'm not looking to make a bad name out of anyone so I'll leave it at that.
Did you flow test the cooler circuit? Was anything else found in the pan besides clutch material?

No I didn't. Nothing else was found. I put my old radiator back in just in case but I'm still experiencing the same issue. I'll have my tranny built and move on. I think this all may be of coincidence...

As one mention before, it doesn't make a differences of putting the old radiator back since you will still experience the same issue since the damaged was already done.

While your transmission is being repair, why don't you take the new radiator to a radiator shop and have them do flow check, pressure check, and overall check, and post the written findings.