Transmission cable problem

ryan77

I dont know what the problem is but ive bought 2 different transmission shift cables a doorman and one from autozone both dont fit or im doing something wrong???? Any one else had a similiar problem????

I having a problem with the shift cable from console to transmission. Not the tv cable

Yeah i think Ive had that problem...

When I changed mine there was an option for the overdrive shift cable. I think this is what the parts guys are NOT getting you. They are selling you the one the N/A regal or w/o overdrive.

The one on my car is a gm piece. The one on dad's 85 ttype i believe is an Autozone piece. I did make the cable from Autozone work somehow.

I work at the zone and by me looking it up online I'm showing a floor console, 4 speed transmission shift cable to be CA-1130. I think pioneer is the brand. One thing to check is to make sure you have the mounting bracket on the transmission under the right two bolts if you took it off recently. I made this mistake before. It took me a while to figure out what was going on too.

Jerry jr

Well im on my third autozone cable pioneer, first was wrong in the box, second snapped when i shifted it, tomorrow i will try the other one. well see im going nuts with this i had now problem with the 87 engine swap but now i messing with this.

Well i put the other cable on and it binds up, i can shift the trans easily by hand bellow, but with the shifter it binds up and if i force it, it breaks. What am i doing wrong????

I think mine binded as well but...

When mine binded it was due to the bracket being under the wrong two bolt holes. I moved the cable bracket and the cable unbound itself. When you are hooking the cable up on the gear selector on the transmission, is the selector all the way forward? If the selector on the transmission is one or 2 gears off and the gear handle inside is in park, you may have issues. If you cant hook the cable up with the selector all the way forward you have shifter cable bracket issues (wrong bolt holes).

Just trying to think my way through any reasons for it to bind.

Not any severe bends in the cable are there?

Good luck,

Jerry jr.

i have the trans in park and the shifter in park when on, its stiff to shift into the gears but wont go into park, then when i force it, it breaks, cable has no kinks or bends.

well i figured it out, when i changed the shift linkege seal on the trans i put the little pin or nail to tight so i loosened it and now were back in buisness...........