Transmission Advice

BigReade

Buick City Boy
My trans has taken a complete shit on me, and I don't have the $1500 right now to drop into a rebuild, so I'm thinking about just picking up another GN trans and swapping it in to use while mine is out for rebuild. I found a guy in Phoenix (2 hours away) with what he claims is a Grand National trans. He doesn't know much about it, other than it came from a wrecked car and he was going to use it for a hotrod project. He doesn't know year/mileage, which raises some red flags to me. My car is an '87 T, and I know I need the BR series trans with all the factory goodies, so would a trans from an 84-85 GN work for me? Or do I need to stick to the 86-87 models? And what would be a fair price for the trans? He's asking $400, I'm hoping to lowball an offer around $200, just because it's really unknown just what exactly it is, or if it has the brf vb or d5 converter. Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated

The 84-85 are a bq code. The servo is the "692" which is a but smaller than the "694" in the br. Vb and gov are similar to the br.
Is it worth $400? Is definitely haggle but finding the right stuff isn't easy. How much is your time worth?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app