Translator question

If you are lost on the original question try Ramchargers site for the description as well as mine below.

Translator + allows timing control with a separate wire to the timing signal at the module under the coil pack.

Translator + allows WOT fueling WITH an Extender chip in use.

Regular translator doesn't have these two features.

Hopefully I am right :)

I still prefer the Maxeffort and the translator + for total control.
Work an extra few hours of OT.

Just my .02 on the original question. :)

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Me too Ted....

I can't figure out if Steve and Bruce are agreeing or disagreeing :O

John

LOL

Some of both!

It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Bruce takes issue with my comments that trying to get a magic number out of wot tps settings is futile for Power Enrichment as the the factory engineers put 78% of the fuel trim in at 50% tps (2.5 v) and 100% of the trim in at 75% tps (3.75v). From there on out, there is no additional enrichment. To me, there is no point in worrying if the tps voltage reads 4.2 or 4.7 at wot as there will be no more fuel addition.

Bruce correctly points out that some chipmaker might go in and add more fuel at the 88% level (4.4 v). At least I think that is his point.

I believe that this is immaterial because of the multitude of tables that interact and invoke enrichment based upon engine load, rpm, etc. The fuel needs to be there quicker.

I think (which does not make it a fact) that the factory understood that fueling depends more on actual load than on throttle postion and arranged to get the fuel in when it is actually needed. For street cars, this can often be at part throttle when half throttle is rapidly applied and the boost comes up fast. In my car, at least, there is nothing linear between boost and throttle position.

Likewise, I suspect there is nothing linear between air flow and tps either and this may be another reason the factory dumps the fuel early and gets it all in well before wot.

It's an extremely complex subject and one has to look both at the trees and the forest. There is a good chance that we are both as wrong as we are right. I just like to argue with Bruce because earlier in my career I was in charge of an R&D department and he reminds me of some of the guys I knew then. :)

SalvageV6....

I just can't figure out if Bruce and Steve are having a "civil" argument or if they are agreeing.....

The way I understand it....(ramchargers site is down now)

The MAF Translator lets you use a LT1 or LS1 MAF and gives you a few buttons to change the fueling around.

The MAF Translator PLUS gives you some timing adjustments.

Either of these with an Extender chip reads an expanded MAF range (above 255) plus you can get a lot of TurboBOB's neat chip options.

If you use a MaxEffort....I don't know. I though the ME gave you control over pretty much everything, so the Translator (not plus) would be enough if you wanted to change to a LT1/LS1 MAF.

You can use either Translators with any chip, you just miss out on the expanded MAF range if you don't use the Extender chip.

I don't use any of these, so I can't comment on how they work in the real world. I've heard so many good things about the Extender chip I would like to set my car up with one in the near future. I'm saving up for it now. The MaxEffort seems like a bit much for my daily driver (87 GN).

The Trans Plus / 3.5" LS1 MAF / Extender chip seems like the hot set-up for a mostly street driven car.

John