Translator/maf Problem

Cheesehead

I recently purchased a used Translator and a used MAF off from EBAY. I installed both last night and am getting a service engine light. TurboLink show that the MAF reading at idle is 11 to 12.
I have the first three switches on the Translator set to on and the 4th is off.

Any suggestions?

Is the problem most likely the MAF or the Translator?

Any way to troubleshoot either of them?

Which MAF did you get, and what are the other switches set to??????????

Code 33 -- higher MAF reading than expected.

It's supposed to be an Impala SS MAF.

I have tried setting the 1st button to both "3" & "0". I unplugged the ECM after changing the setting. The results were the same.

Well, the most obvious thing to suspect would be the MAF its self. With that said, if it's supposed to be a SS MAF, then try the first switch (MAF BASE) in positions 3, 4 and 5. REsetting the ECM each time and giving it a good 5 mile drive cycle on each to see how it affects things. 5 may help, 4 may make it worse :eek: If none of those help then maybe trying to get a known good MAF to try.
If you didn't live so far away, you could borrow my SS MAF for testing.

Thanks for the suggestions--I'll do some more tests tomorrow.

Are there any numbers that I can use to be sure that I have the correct MAF?

I tried it again today---

Cold--
ignition on, not running maf = 3
started maf jumps to 255 then settles to 6 - 7
sets SES 33

took it for a short drive dies (floods) out when I punch the accelerator, maf jumps to 255

shut it off, warm start
started maf = 255 barely runs, EXTREMELY RICH

It runs so bad that it doesn't seem to make any difference where I set the first button.

The problem must be the MAF. Anyone have a KNOWN GOOD one that they want to sell. Is GM Parts Direct the best source for a new one?

I was hoping that you had gotten it to work.
Did you try 3 switch to off? To see if it made any changes.
Does the MAF have the screens in it?
Is your IAC counts correct?
That's the only things I can think of. You might email TurboBob as he is the man for the translator.

Originally posted by Cheesehead
I tried it again today---

Cold--
started maf jumps to 255 then settles to 6 - 7
sets SES 33

took it for a short drive dies (floods) out when I punch the accelerator, maf jumps to 255

shut it off, warm start
started maf = 255 barely runs, EXTREMELY RICH

It runs so bad that it doesn't seem to make any difference where I set the first button.

The problem must be the MAF. Anyone have a KNOWN GOOD one that they want to sell. Is GM Parts Direct the best source for a new one?

Now it's starting to make sense. The 3 that it is reading with the key on engine off, is exactly what I would have expected (the maf table's lowest reading divided in half because of the Extender).

As soon as you start it, things go to pot. I'd expect a bad maf.