translator + install issues

1987ttype

I just bought a used trans + and 3.5" LS1 MAF from a buddy of mine. I installed the MAF and trans +, and tried to run the car before I hooked up the two spark wires in order to make sure the MAF was working alright. The car ran terribly and would hardly rev up or hold idle, when i was able to rev the engine i could not get the MAF readings to go higher than 20 g/s (off direct scan). does it matter that i didn't have the spark wires hooked up? I figured it would still run, just not have spark control. The other question is that i may have had switch 4 (the one marked option) in the "on" position. would that have caused the problem? i put back the old MAF and piping and everything is running just fine now. I am going to try again soon i was just wondering if you guys had any info for me. Thanks.

It should run fine without the spark control wires being hooked up. Meaning the white and gray wires, left diconnected.

Are you sure you had a good power, and ground?.

What are you "MODE" switch settings? Do you have an extender chip? Like Bruce said, the spark control wires serve only to change timing in the extender chip....Your car will run fine without them attached to anything.

For a Buick, and assuming you do NOT have an "extreme" version of the translator, your mode switches should be "ON" "ON" "OFF" "OFF" ....That has often been a problem for initial hookup. (unless you are NOT running an extender chip, then, the MODE switch should be ON ON ON OFF)

You can get a lot of expert attention at this website. Just post under the "Buick Translator Suport" forum if you don't get the answers you need here :)

Installation and set up of the T+ didn't come very clear to me until I had read the instructions a number of times. Also, a search on Translator Plus will show many posts, prolly with your same situation described and solved. Good Luck, its worth the time it takes.

I am not currently running an extender chip (it's still coming in the mail), the switches were on on on off. or so i thought but looking at the trans + yesterday i saw that i may have had the last switch set to "on" as well. i was just wondering if the car would still run with the last switch in the "on" position. either way i am going to try again soon so i'll find out if that was the problem. i was just hoping to get confirmation that it will not run with that last switch "on" so i wouldn't need to worry about having a bad MAF of translator. Thanks for the help.