Transform a regular 87 coupe to turbo

BLASTER

Slow Roller
Got a lead on a good condition 87 coupe and was wonderign what is involved with tranforming it into a turbo regal.

Would be looking to pick up new engine, turbo and drivetrain. Can it be done?

Engine (complete with ALL parts), intercooler, trans, harness, ECM, to start- then lots and lots of work.......

Yes, it can be done. By the time your assemble the parts, and factor in the time needed for the swap, you may find it more cost effective to buy a real TR.

Checked out the car and it is very clean. Only 19000 original miles. Only driven to the grocery store and church, etc....

Has a 3.8L v6 with a carb and the shifter is on hte column

As I know really nothing about these cars , I am guessing that the 3.8 didn't come with the same bottom end as the turbo regals (???)

Is there a good site or sticky or somewhere that I can find the differances between the 87 models, standard, t-type, gn, and gnx?

If anything this might be a good knock around car for me for a while.

Thanks

hate to cut into this thread with another question but i was wondering how much of the wiring from a turbo regal had to be used to transplant a turbo motor into a non turbo regal????? i have all the parts and pretty much doing a frame off. i found out my car body is to rough to use so i am using a regular regal since they are pretty much the same and i have one sitting around.

I did the conversion. Its not that bad. All of the wiriing has to be swapped. Engine harness, dash harness and rear taillight harness, the only wiring that can stay is the body harness in the engine compartment. Other things that are turbo specific are, gas tank, fuel lines, rear axle, driveshaft, trans, crossmember, heater a/c box, throttle cable, inner fender wells, and a bunch of stuff I can't remember. Hardest part is getting all the parts together. Took me about 4 or 5 weekends to do. I swapped everything that was in the turbo model into my car. Only thing i left was the vacuum brakes.

I have done the switch too. If you are doing a complete resto anyway it is not that big of a deal! Exactly like said above, good post!

thanks for the help i have everything i need but i think i might buy some new goodies. i was going to try and have the car done fast but i'm going to take my time and do it right. i definitely will keep the vacumn brakes too. don't know much about the powermaster system and wouldn't mind not having to figure it out. i heard alot of bad things about that system.