Transbrake problem, need help and/or suggestions

QuikBuik

Get this guy a GN!
I was told there are some pretty knowledgable tranny guys in this forum, I'm hoping someone can help. I'm running a GER transbrake valvebody in a powerglide in my Buick-powered roadster. Here's the problem.

Before we leave the house, I can put the car up on the brake, stutter it, and it releases just like it's supposed to, up till it's loaded on the trailer.

When we get to the track, after the burnout and the tranny is nice and warm, NO DICE! It wont engage. After some testing, it's determined that the solenoid clicks back and forth like it's supposed to, until the car is in low gear. I'm guessing the line pressure is higher, and that's why it wont engage, because we put it on jackstands and you can push the solenoid in and engage it with your finger, but it's noticably harder to push in when it's in low gear.

We thought maybe the solenoid wasn't getting enough juice, so we put in a 12v relay going to the solenoid, stronger battery, and same results. Do you think the solenoid just isn't strong enough, or maybe something is binding up in the valve body keeping the solenoid from engaging?

The problem is I don't want to get another solenoid w/o being sure that's what it is, we cant test it, cuz the Turbo Action and TCI solenoid's plungers are too short to use in the GER valvebody. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, very open to suggestions. NEW SOLENOID, or DIFFERENT BRAND VALVEBODY??

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Based on what you've described and the fact that you've tried a relay as well, I'd say that the solenoid is too weak.

The reason that you feel increased resisitance with the transmission in low gear is that it is the only range that fluid is sent to the brake valve.

Your statement about the GER brake requiring a longer stroke solenoid is interesting. The farther a solenoid is opened, the weaker it becomes. It's ability to generate sufficient force to overcome the fluid resistance is diminished, therefore the increased stroke is a detriment.

Have you tried engaging the solenoid while in Neutral and then pulling the shifter into Low?

You may want to entertain the thought of installing a different valve body as there are better ones out there.

Thanks for the replies guys. :) Everyone I've talked to has said basically the same thing, it's probably the solenoid causing the problem, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get a different valve body. I wish I would have thought of that trick of hitting the brake and then pulling it in low at the track last week, I may have gotten it to work! Thanks again!

You guys know me and very well at that, so this may be a shock , but as Greg will probobly agree,.............

I WOULDN"T LET "GER" TRANS ANYTHING EVEN IN OUR SHOP!!!!!

The stuff is junk, very poorly assembled and to this day I have NEVER SEEN 1 HAPPY customer to date. Thats 17 years worth!.
Their converters are junk too.
I really do not care if you do not purchase from Greg (TCI)or I (PTS), or anybody else for that matter,
JUST DO NOT BUY JACK FROM GER!!!!!!
Pick any major trans vendor you would like, just not them.

I have a pic of a sign at the Autolite nationals Where a guy hung a 50 ft sign from the bleachers saying
"Do not buy transmissions from GER, as I did and its been three years and I still cant drive my car."

I would say this guy was pretty patient as 3 years is an eternity to most of you.

I have seen the stuff first hand. EVERY one is just plain bad. I do not know how to convey this with any more authority, and do not like to do this , but this is one trans co. gives us all a bad name.:(

Sorry but had to "save" someone.:(

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

I think the problem is the mass advertising they do make people feel that they are special or something.

Instead of putting the money into their products...they drop it into ads in major car mags.Custom converter 299.00 .....yet the competition is double that.

Old saying...you get what you pay for.And sometimes less.

BTW,I too have had companies refuse GER stuff while calling them to service my TCI converter.It was like anyone's but ....GER

Originally posted by WE4
You guys know me and very well at that, so this may be a shock , but as Greg will probobly agree,.............

I WOULDN"T LET "GER" TRANS ANYTHING EVEN IN OUR SHOP!!!!!

:D Sad but true...