Trans wont upshift

brohr01

Hi,
Yesterday i installed a 3000stall converter, topped off the fluid and went for a test drive. everything was functioning perfectly. So last night i went out for a drive and after about an hour of driving the tranny would no longer upshift. I didnt notice the problem slowly, it happened all at once. Sitting at a light and i take off, everything fine, except it never did shift into 2nd. I limped the car off the road and checked fluid condition and level, both are good. After limping the car back home i rechecked it this morning and it still has the same issue.

I picked this car up not too long ago and the previous owner said the tranny was just rebuilt about 4000 miles ago. In the box of spare parts he gave me i also found instructions for a shift kit that i think was installed at the same time. the instructions have hand written changes on them saying to remove springs and use different sized drill bits. Im thinking that this tranny was biult by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Im thinking i just need all the soft parts, i really dont think any hard parts broke. should i get a new valve body that hasnt been messed with so the builder has a clean slate to work with?

What upgraded parts or mods should i have done to handle low 12, high 11 passes? that is far faster than the car is now but it wont be long before i am there.

you probably have a stuck tv valve or governor problem.give me a ring and ill tell you what to look at.ask for chris 718 784 4256

I should prob add that before i had any issues (with the old and new converter) when i shifted from park to drive or reverse it would kick into gear. now when i start it up and put it in gear it does not kick at all. before the car would squat down when i put it in reverse. It also takes more throttle application to get things going. chris, i will give you a call tomarrow, i have been considering one of your transmissions but if this is indeed as simple as a gov issue then i can hold of till i have the cash.

thanks,
bryan

i had this problem once come to find out the vacuum hose came off the map sensor. i would check that or check your map sensor. it will save you a lot of money.

i had this problem once come to find out the vacuum hose came off the map sensor. i would check that or check your map sensor. it will save you a lot of money.

On our cars.... the only thing the map sensor does is control the lights on the boost gauge......

Our tranny's only need two external inputs to function properly.... one is the electrical wires that lockup the converter.... the other is the TV cable (mechanical) that lets the tranny "know" how hard you are mashing on it.

There is no electrical connection that would keep the tranny from shifting out of 1st...

HTH

ok go unplug your map sensor and drive around and see if your tranny upshifts. ive done it it wont upshift. im not doubting your knowledge. but its the truth.

ok go unplug your map sensor and drive around and see if your tranny upshifts. ive done it it wont upshift. im not doubting your knowledge. but its the truth.

I guess I should say that my comment was directed toward '86 and '87 intercooled cars.... with stock transmission setups....

The electrical connector on the side of the tranny has been disconected for awhile due to a sticking tq converter solenoid. What other functions does that connector take care of? i havent had any issues with it disconnected other than no TCC function but at least i was able to drive it.

Im thinking the governor came apart, i am going to drop the pan in the next couple of days to verify no extra parts are laying in the bottom of the pan that belong somewhere else.

The electrical connector on the side of the tranny has been disconected for awhile due to a sticking tq converter solenoid. What other functions does that connector take care of?

The ecm will think the trans is 1st or 2nd gear at all times unless the chip burner used the vss for those paramters. Driving around with an unlocked lock-up converter will cause the trans temps to rise very high when cruising on the highway. Fix the solenoid problem and plug in the switch when you check the governor out. Sounds like a governor problem most likely.

sounds kind of like what happened to the stock trans in my T type 2 summers ago at the track. it wouldn't shift out of first gear just like yours, but it also didn't go into neutral anymore- there was a LOT of drag where it was supposed to freewheel, and i could not move the car without starting it. fluid looked perfect, and no chunks of any kind in the pan when i pulled the speedo gears out to put in the temp trans. it did have a B&M shift kit in it, if that makes any difference..
since i was in the process of selling my house and moving, i just got a trans from a 307 powered Cutlass or something to get me by. that trans sucks. i want to tear into the stock trans to see what's what- is it something simple that i didn't need to swap the trans out for, or is it something bad? i've never torn into a trans before, but i think i can handle it...