Trans temp gauge install...

so im putting a trans temp gauge and a boost/ vac gauge in my 87. Where should I install the trans sending unit in the 2004r ? Wheres the best place to put the boost tube for the boost gauge? Thank u

Tap the trans pan for your trans temp sensor. As far as the boost gauge. You can use any vacuum source in the engine compartment for that.

are you running a stock pan or one of the cast aluminum fancy pans?

I tapped the boost gauge into one of the hard lines that went over near the ac and to the fender sensor. The line was very brittle and had already broken so I didn't feel bad about cutting anything.

are you running a stock pan or one of the cast aluminum fancy pans?

I tapped the boost gauge into one of the hard lines that went over near the ac and to the fender sensor. The line was very brittle and had already broken so I didn't feel bad about cutting anything.
Ive got a stock pan on the trans. Is that hard line a map sensor line? Thanx for the replies.

Ive got a stock pan on the trans. Is that hard line a map sensor line? Thanx for the replies.

You can't tap the stock sheet metal pan, not enough material.

Either get a cast pan and drill/tap it, or you'll have to have a bung welded to your sheet metal pan for the sensor.

Getting the cast pan will be the easiest route.

x2 on the sheet pan. Careful where you put it . Some of that stuff in there is real close to the pan. Also.you can weld a nut to.the pan if you are good with a welder.

and yes I believe it is the map sensor line

You can't tap the stock sheet metal pan, not enough material.

Either get a cast pan and drill/tap it, or you'll have to have a bung welded to your sheet metal pan for the sensor.

Getting the cast pan will be the easiest route.
I think I found a cast deep pan with a place for a sending unit preinstalled. Also quick question. I just got my 87 and im new to these things, the plug on the driver side of the trans is not connected, previous owner said it only affects highway mpgs. Any truth to this?

Not entirely true. It also keeps the ecm from seeing the 3rd gear signal which affects wot timing. Probably needs a lockup solenoid in the trans and they unplugged it because it was a nuisance to drive it that way.

Not entirely true. It also keeps the ecm from seeing the 3rd gear signal which affects wot timing. Probably needs a lockup solenoid in the trans and they unplugged it because it was a nuisance to drive it that way.
Gotcha, thank u. How hard is it to put a lockup solenoid in?

sounds like that seller kinda snookered ya. I concur on the solenoid replacement. Not hard, two nuts and some wires to cut n reconnect on the new one.
you can do it while you have the pan down for the new cast one.