Trans Question/ Rocker Shafts

84 Engine Fuel injected ??

Guys, I was just told that the 84 GN or turbo engine is Fuel Injected ?? Is that true ?? You mean I can ditch my carb?? I will have to Break out my old Buick Book..:confused::confused: If it is Fuel Injected...should I just run with it for a little better performance ??

Guys, I was just told that the 84 GN or turbo engine is Fuel Injected ?? Is that true ?? You mean I can ditch my carb?? I will have to Break out my old Buick Book..:confused::confused: If it is Fuel Injected...should I just run with it for a little better performance ??

To make it work you'll need to pull everything apart and bascally start from scratch Vince. I started to do this as well but the mods to do so are more than I'm willing to do.:redface:

Confused...

Correct me If I am wrong....I just read on the web that some Grand Nationals in 84 had the 4.1 engine and they were fuel injected...But the 3.8 was an option and had the Hot Air with carb and got a little more hp...?? Let me break out that Chiltions book...

OK Got it...

According to the Chiltions book... The 84 Turbo engine with carb was rated at 170 HP and that was 231 inch Then the 84 Turbo engine MFI was just rated at 100HP for the 231... What the F--K
How can the fuel injection engine be 70 HP less??

Another Kicker

The MFI engine had 300 Ft Lbs of torque and the Carbed engine had 275 ft lbs
Must of been a mispirnt on the HP of the FI engine is all I can think.

Correct me If I am wrong....I just read on the web that some Grand Nationals in 84 had the 4.1 engine and they were fuel injected...But the 3.8 was an option and had the Hot Air with carb and got a little more hp...?? Let me break out that Chiltions book...

Get rid of the chiltons BS Vince. The 4.1 was never turbo powered.:mad:

According to the Chiltions book... The 84 Turbo engine with carb was rated at 170 HP and that was 231 inch Then the 84 Turbo engine MFI was just rated at 100HP for the 231... What the F--K
How can the fuel injection engine be 70 HP less??

Go to BEFORE BLACK Website for what you're looking for. Rich has put all the info out there if you're willing to do a little reading.:smile:

The MFI engine had 300 Ft Lbs of torque and the Carbed engine had 275 ft lbs
Must of been a mispirnt on the HP of the FI engine is all I can think.

It's a missprint. Go to Rich's site and you should be able to find the info you're looking for.:smile:

SMokin the Buick

Just picked up the 84 Grand National Engine and it looks great...Really does look like it was already rebuilt too.. Have the computer, and wiring harness too.. But I do not have the Turbo...or the pipes to hook it up either... Any ideas where I can get them ?? As soon as I pull the engine out of the back of my truck I will take a photo...Looks different....it is red...the intake manifold is ribbed as are the rocker covers...?? :D:cool::cool:

Well it just so happens...:biggrin:

I tore one down this fall and it was complete. I've got the engine harness but no dash harness. Decide exactly what you need first as far as parts and we'll see about dealing on them.:smile:

Well it just so happens...:biggrin:

I tore one down this fall and it was complete. I've got the engine harness but no dash harness. Decide exactly what you need first as far as parts and we'll see about dealing on them.:smile:

soo does this mean your willing to make a deal on that crank?

smokin the Buick

Charlie, On that before Black website...it seems just to cover up the 83s and not the 84s...84s were Black right? ;)

soo does this mean your willing to make a deal on that crank?

Give it a rest kid. I'll tell you if I decide to sell one off.

Charlie, On that before Black website...it seems just to cover up the 83s and not the 84s...84s were Black right? ;)

83 was the last year Vince. 84 is HA SFI. The long block will work but unless you want to convert to SFI the rest you don't need.:smile:

SFi

I want to run with the fuel injection, The motor was running when it was taken out of the car...so why mess with it...Have the wiring harness with the computer...it shouldn't be too hard to connect up...I saw a early El Camino the other day with an 87 GN motor in it ...Looked great too...Might have a lead on a new turbo now...except it does not have that elbow on the back side...of it.

84 Turbo

Does anybody have some photos of the turbo that goes on an 84 Grand National...Would like to see what the flanges look like...don't have a clue on how this thing hooks up either...Is there some kind of a tube that goes in the intake and the throttle body hooks up to that then the turbo ?? And how is the turbo supported ?? Some measurements of the flanges and inlet and outlet would help too.. really shooting blind here ...will post photo of the engine as soon as my camera battery gets charged... If worst comes to worst could I hook up a whole different setup to make it a heat exchanger system...Vince

Rollin with it

Ok I got a lot of info on this site on wiring diagrams and vacuum lines. Here is my question, Just picked up an 86 intake...most of the photos I have seen have a 86 throttle body on this ...even with an 84-85 motor....Can't I use the 84 throttle body on this manifold ?? will it even bolt up ?? I like the idea of mounting the turbo on the front right of the engine compartment so this way you can still get at the right side of the motor without having to remove all those pipes.:D

Your pretty much in the wrong section of the forum with what you want to do now. Try these questions in the general section. I was following well until the point where you picked up a HA engine and then I dunno what happened the topic veered into several tangents.

Your pretty much in the wrong section of the forum with what you want to do now. Try these questions in the general section. I was following well until the point where you picked up a HA engine and then I dunno what happened the topic veered into several tangents.

you dont happen to have any valve covers or timing covers around you do you? im gathering some parts to put this engine together, and i wasnt able to pull the timing cover with the tools ive got:redface: around the crank.

Get a parts car I'm sure you will want one once you get down into this project deep.

Just picked up

Just picked up a complete break down of every part on an 86 Grand National..Its like a fake book in music, I'm rolling now...One big question though...since the 84 throttle body looks much bigger than the 86 why not just have the 84 throttle body bored out and make up a spacer / adaptor and bolt it on...?? It looks at least a third bigger than the 86 already.