Trans Question/ Rocker Shafts

I have been doing some digging and this is what I came up with...2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L32 Supercharged engine rated at 260 HP. Any thoughts on this setup ??

There is a Series II and a Series III engine and the difference is where the injectors are located Vince. You need to look at them and see which it is. If they're in the intake you're fine but if they're mounted into the head then it's a Series III set up and you can't make it a RWD very easily. I've got the correct heads and intake that I will be playing with later to mount them on a RWD block. The intake will be cut apart so I can make my own for a draw through system.

smokin the Buick

Just thinking out loud here...I e-mailed Jack again to actually have him check the bores of the engine to see if they just could use a honing and have the orginal pistons put back in ...but have the tops heat treated with that new coating thats out there and have the sides sprayed with that new teflon super slippery compound.. I am pretty sure that bore can go out .010 and the stock pistons still used.....Trying to save some money here....I also checked out the Diamond pistons he wanted to use...one company came up and it was in India...forget that...only want US made stuff If I can help it... And I also told him that I would assemble it myself...I would just let him file the rings then mark them and the piston and bag each one seperately . Well lets see what he says...:rolleyes::cool:

.010 is a bore job Vince. .001 would be a hone. Big difference in them. Take a look at the TRW/Speedpro forged pistons. You can get them for about $300 or less if you look around.

New Ball Game Now

I have just located a 84 Buick T type turbo engine..It might be rebuilt already...it needs a turbo and carb which I have already...other wise its complete.....I think I stepped in it... Will probably pick it up on Monday or Teusday.. :D:D;) Thanks for the info on the Pistons..

No problem Vince. Make sure he'll let you take the engine apart so you can check a few things like the crank and bore. One of the board members got burned on the engine he bought. He didn't take any tools with him so he could check it out before he bought it.

stepped in it...

Good Idea.....any ideas on how to secure the engine in the back of my pickup truck ?? If it has oil in it should I drain it out before laying it on its side ?? :rolleyes:

Well I've done the research on what I intend to do and I don't want to spend 5K and watch it blow up first time on the track.:frown: I think I'd sell the car at that point.

There is always guessing with a draw through Jesse. The only thing I'm missing at the moment is a wide band and a timing controler for the MSD unit. So far I've got a 6A, BTM, ported headers and parts to build a second set of KB style. I really believe in being prepaired so I don't have any issues with it.:biggrin:

The only people that have "issues" are the ones that don't have a safe tune. Hyper pistons have been in 10s. I guess I'm just one not to pump boost up too fast and I try not to run things on the ragged edge. Most I've jumped was 2 lbs for every pull til I got to 20psi since I was running real fat anyway. With the crazy midwest weather it's hard to run stuff on the edge and not worry about it. It could go from 95* in the day to 50* at night.

Good Idea.....any ideas on how to secure the engine in the back of my pickup truck ?? If it has oil in it should I drain it out before laying it on its side ?? :rolleyes:

Take something to drain the oil and look at it. Then pull the pan off and check the condition of the 2 center mains and 4 and 5 rod bearings. Those are the ones that seem to spin most of the time. I'd use some ropes or straps and put an old tire under it. That is how I've always done it.:smile:

The only people that have "issues" are the ones that don't have a safe tune. Hyper pistons have been in 10s. I guess I'm just one not to pump boost up too fast and I try not to run things on the ragged edge. Most I've jumped was 2 lbs for every pull til I got to 20psi since I was running real fat anyway. With the crazy midwest weather it's hard to run stuff on the edge and not worry about it. It could go from 95* in the day to 50* at night.

True Jesse, but the draw through system isn't as tuneable as an SFI car. I'm looking at starting around 6-8 PSI and driving it on the street first to see how everything goes. One pound at a time until I get it where it does the best and has no issues. I know Rich has taken his to 20 once so I am hopilng mine will be happy around 15-18 and not produce any suprises.

All I need is a Wideband and Im in business. But I decided that while I had the fenders off I might as well paint the thing.

Hopefully I will be in the 13's this summer. :confused:

Hopefully on 91 and alky. :biggrin:

checkin the engine

Charlie, I will check it out...They guy that has it seems to think it is completely rebuilt...and it has been kept indoors too..sounds too good to be true...have to really see it to believe it;) I carried a 454 in the back of the truck once but I only went a short distance...that thing could of wiped out my whole tailgate if it flew...thanks for the info...This engine is suppose to have the wiring harness and the computer too..I am hoping that this will snap into my 83 wiring harness....but I have a feeling it will be looking for that digital speed 0 Meter...:eek:

All I need is a Wideband and Im in business. But I decided that while I had the fenders off I might as well paint the thing.

Hopefully I will be in the 13's this summer. :confused:

Hopefully on 91 and alky. :biggrin:

I don't see 13s being that hard to accomplish. You have some good mods. Does your setup have a map sensor?

Charlie, I will check it out...They guy that has it seems to think it is completely rebuilt...and it has been kept indoors too..sounds too good to be true...have to really see it to believe it;) I carried a 454 in the back of the truck once but I only went a short distance...that thing could of wiped out my whole tailgate if it flew...thanks for the info...This engine is suppose to have the wiring harness and the computer too..I am hoping that this will snap into my 83 wiring harness....but I have a feeling it will be looking for that digital speed 0 Meter...:eek:

I usually try and put the engine over the axle so it balances a litte better. Makes it much easier in the long run, but I have carried them near the tail gates as well. Just make sure it's tied down good and you should be fine.:biggrin:

New Phase

I don't even know if this engine is suppose to have a MAP Sensor... Its just a hot air turbo 84 ...The seller is a Buick buff and knows these engines well, seems like he has a lot of stuff to get rid of and cheap.. I am just wondering how hard this will be with out the 84 Dash...It has all those extra Turbo guages that probably feed data into the computer...but on second thought most of that data probably comes from the sensors ...have to dig up wiring diagram on the 84 to actually see what is happening..:rolleyes:

Are you planing to convert it to SFI now Vince? That's a very ambisious (sp) plan if you do. A lot more involved than the draw through system.

turbo

Not at all...I didn't think there was a MAP Sensor on a hot air car....I noticed that there is a speed sensor on the 84 Buick...Is that really necessary with hot air ??

Not at all...I didn't think there was a MAP Sensor on a hot air car....I noticed that there is a speed sensor on the 84 Buick...Is that really necessary with hot air ??

If it has a computer then it needs some way to guage load. The MAP (maniflod absolute pressure) is used to sense both intake vaccum and pressure in the turbo engine. The computer can then tell what to do as part of the programing. It uses the TPS, MAP, O2, TEMP, ect as feedback to control the engine. This started in the 81 cars and got more advanced over the years.

The 80 and earlier ones don't have these operating systems so they don't use those sensors.

Open Eyes wide

When it rains it pours !! Some guy just called me with a frame I have been looking for my Chevy Impala and this guy is almost next to the guy that has the Buick....Go Figure...What are the odds of that ever happening....Been looking for this frame for over a year now.. Anyway here is a photo of a Buick V6 engine for a NASCAR Pace Car...Feast your Eyes

Attachments

• 150px-BuickV6-Indy_Pace.jpg
    150px-BuickV6-Indy_Pace.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 88
Monster motor

If any can figure out all those pipes on that engine just let me know...especially those 1.5 inch pipes that look like air conditioning pipes..I am thinking individual injectors ?? maybe even a series II OR III or 3800 engine ??:cool:

If any can figure out all those pipes on that engine just let me know...especially those 1.5 inch pipes that look like air conditioning pipes..I am thinking individual injectors ?? maybe even a series II OR III or 3800 engine ??:cool:

That's a full blown Stage II engine Vince. It was in a FWD Riveara. Very cool and I use to have the link to the info, until my puter took a crap.:( It's on the board somewhere as well. The funny thing is it's a HA car, not intercooled.:eek:

Still More

I have a few more photos you guys might like...

Attachments

• 250px-BuickV6-DOHC.jpg
    250px-BuickV6-DOHC.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 250px-BuickV6-Indy_Racing.jpg
    250px-BuickV6-Indy_Racing.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 82