Trans question about my towing rig...

LDPosse

I recently purchased a clean '85 chevy pickup 3/4 ton for my towing and daily driving needs. The truck is currently equipped with a 305, 700-R4 (9-84 production), and a 14 bolt semi-floating axle with 3.73's.

I've only had it for a week and I'm ready to can the 305. I located a nice, low-miles Buick 455 engine in a rusted out '76 electra. This is the low-compression 455, rated (net) at 205HP, and 345TQ.

I plan to tow my buick to the track, and to GS nats with this, inside of a 24' box trailer.

My concern is, would the 700-4r be up to the task of towing? The trans as been rebuilt. 1-2 and 3-4 shifts are very firm, and the 2-3 shift is good, but not as firm. My only concern is the other day, I went to pull out on the highway and for some reason the trans started in 2nd gear. It hasn't done it since, I chalked it up to the truck not being run for almost a year, but am not sure. I've driven the truck another 500 miles since and it has acted fine.

I would like the overdrive for running light, but don't want to be messing with a broken tranny soon. The 455 engine does have a good TH400 bolted to it (also 68k oringinal miles), would I be better off to just forget the 700, and put the 400 in the truck?

Thanks!!!

The 700R4 won't bolt to the BOP pattern. I think TCI has an adapter plate that's reasonable. The 700 should be fine as long as your not dogging on it and don't tow in OD. Get a tranny cooler!

get the adapter plate and bolt it right in.you dont have to worry about anything.make sure the lock up is functional .