Trans is acting up, how bad is it guys?

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i have been having trouble with this car since day 1 with it :mad:. Anyways i just got the car back from Gbodyparts a few weeks ago, they did a rebuild and a few other engine mods. Car was doing great, drove it home 4 hours. Took it out the next couple days and beat on it very little. Anyways first thing i noticed is that first gear seemed like it was running to high in the rpms before it changed to second. Now that problem has gotten worse, i dont know what RPM it is going up to before changing but it probably 2k rpms higher then normal. Almost like it is shifting where it would if i was stomping on it. Next thing its doing is while im driving at 35-50mph or so, and stomp it. It will drop down a gear and rev up really fast. Almost like its hitting the rev limiter and it wont change gears until i let off.

Trans is shot,sounds like 2nd gear is gone. Time for more $$$:frown:

So what do you guys think would be the best route for me? Should i take it out and have it rebuilt (to keep the car numbers matching) and does anybody know a place in GA that rebulids them?

Anyways first thing i noticed is that first gear seemed like it was running to high in the rpms before it changed to second. Now that problem has gotten worse, i dont know what RPM it is going up to before changing but it probably 2k rpms higher then normal. Almost like it is shifting where it would if i was stomping on it. Next thing its doing is while im driving at 35-50mph or so, and stomp it. It will drop down a gear and rev up really fast. Almost like its hitting the rev limiter and it wont change gears until i let off.

Is it slipping or dropping down to 1st gear when you stomp on it at 35-50?
You can try adjusting the TV cable & see if it helps.
TV Info>> GM TV Cable Adjustment Instructions
http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_Cable_Setup_Info.html

So what do you guys think would be the best route for me? Should i take it out and have it rebuilt (to keep the car numbers matching) and does anybody know a place in GA that rebulids them?

Brain at gbody should be able hook you up with a good trans.

Yeah brian has a guy I can send mine to, and I'm sure he had a used one I could buy. But I'd like to keep it numbers matching though...

Yeah brian has a guy I can send mine to, and I'm sure he had a used one I could buy. But I'd like to keep it numbers matching though...

Then its simple get it rebulit.

Have Brian set up your re-build with his guy. I will not post who brian uses unless he chimes in and puts the name out there, but he gives a warranty on a performance trans. I had mine re-built locally and they gave me a warranty only to stock specs, well guess how long that lasted.

Have Brian set up your re-build with his guy. I will not post who brian uses unless he chimes in and puts the name out there, but he gives a warranty on a performance trans. I had mine re-built locally and they gave me a warranty only to stock specs, well guess how long that lasted.

About 2 miles until I blew it up like I told you I would :)

We use Lonnie from Extreme automatics. Travis's detent cable was set when it left here. I told him to do the same thing as above like every one else did in case the cable stretched. First thing I told him was to check the fluid level. Travis & I were unsure of the history of the trans. When you build more power on a stock trans they will eventually flare.
Problem is Travis is in GA. We are in NC. Not a hop skip & a jump.

I see it all the time though. Trannys get built for $1k then they don't last. So you end up going some where & spending the $ a second time.

I have an 87 GN here now. Thurman brought his own rebuilt trans. I asked if he wanted to send it out to Lonnie to have it gone thru. No it will be fine.
He got a few more miles then Kevin did.
Bobby & a few others here have went thru the same thing.

Spend the $ once & get it done right by some one who knows the trannys. Travis that is my advice wether it is Lonnie or some one else.

About 2 miles until I blew it up like I told you I would :)

We use Lonnie from Extreme automatics. Travis's detent cable was set when it left here. I told him to do the same thing as above like every one else did in case the cable stretched. First thing I told him was to check the fluid level. Travis & I were unsure of the history of the trans. When you build more power on a stock trans they will eventually flare.
Problem is Travis is in GA. We are in NC. Not a hop skip & a jump.

I see it all the time though. Trannys get built for $1k then they don't last. So you end up going some where & spending the $ a second time.

I have an 87 GN here now. Thurman brought his own rebuilt trans. I asked if he wanted to send it out to Lonnie to have it gone thru. No it will be fine.
He got a few more miles then Kevin did.
Bobby & a few others here have went thru the same thing.

Spend the $ once & get it done right by some one who knows the trannys. Travis that is my advice wether it is Lonnie or some one else.

Yea yea live and learn. I should have gotten that done also while it was there.

But I'd like to keep it numbers matching though...
numbers matching tranny means absolutely nothing in terms of value to ur car. neither does a numbers matching block. these arent Hemi cudas or Yenko's

numbers matching tranny means absolutely nothing in terms of value to ur car. neither does a numbers matching block. these arent Hemi cudas or Yenko's

Not yet & may not be worth that value ever. If you were looking at 2 fairly identical cars for sale 1 was matching #'s & one wasn't.
Price is fairly the same & condition is the same which one would you buy?
If you can retain that why wouldn't you?

Now I know who I'm talking to, but to the average person :biggrin:;)

yea, but I cant remember ever anyone asking about a matching number tranny. people just doesnt seem to care one way or the other. probably cause most everyone modifies their TR anyway. maybe if one had a GNX it might mean something tho

Not yet & may not be worth that value ever. If you were looking at 2 fairly identical cars for sale 1 was matching #'s & one wasn't.
Price is fairly the same & condition is the same which one would you buy?
If you can retain that why wouldn't you?

Now I know who I'm talking to, but to the average person :biggrin:;)

I agree. If you had a low mileage documented car non matching trans stamp and block stamp would be a huge deterrent and would likely hurt the value. I wouldn't buy it if I wanted an original car. For the average driven and beaten TR it means nothing.

I agree. If you had a low mileage documented car non matching trans stamp and block stamp would be a huge deterrent and would likely hurt the value. I wouldn't buy it if I wanted an original car. For the average driven and beaten TR it means nothing.
Show me ONE thread where someone has asked if the tranny is a matching number and hurt the sale if it wasnt. One thread!

Could be the governor spring got thrown off...Do a search it's worth checking out before getting the trans rebuilt.

Show me ONE thread where someone has asked if the tranny is a matching number and hurt the sale if it wasnt. One thread!

What the he'll does an internet thread have to do with a potential buyers decision to buy a car you moron? Anyone who wants an original unaltered car is going to scoff at an engine/trans with no stamping or not matching. There are plenty of owners and buyers out there that don't even look at Internet bull****. Don't be a jackass.

It dosent matter now but in 20 years when these are even more rare than they are now and stock restoration parts are omg expensive then it may be of some benefit to have the original stuff either in the car or sitting in the corner...