trans fluid level

CHANCE

No longer a Buick guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey guys making a custom dip stick for my TH400 heres my question how do i figure out were to mark the stick for the proper oil level the trans is empty so im starting from scratch with an empty converter and trans

Add about 4 qts of fluid, loosen the pan evenly and let any excess drain off.
Tighten the pan, insert indicator into dipstick tube. Remove and mark the stick where the fluid level is at.
That is your warm, idling in park or neutral mark.

I would go to your favorite pick your part and get a used one, Then there is no guessing.You dont want it low or to full, Then With trans and converter empty add 9-10 quarts and run it thrue the gears to operating temp check level and add till proper level.Or call the dealership or trans shop they should know.

1975ssnova said:
I would go to your favorite pick your part and get a used one, Then there is no guessing.You dont want it low or to full, Then With trans and converter empty add 9-10 quarts and run it thrue the gears to operating temp check level and add till proper level.Or call the dealership or trans shop they should know.

Even a new GM tube and indicator is often not correct.

If you use the method I recommended you know the level is EXACTLY correct.

hey jackshoe so after ive run the car to make sure my converter and cooler are full then i loosen the pan? can i do this with the engine and trans cooled and get the right level or do i need to do this with the engine running hot and in P/N

No need to run the car and worry about the converter being full.

You shoudl do it when it is cool.

If it is already running, just loosen the pan and let the fluid drain out until it is level with the top edge of the pan. Tighten the pan up, mark the dipstick at that level.

The proper fluid level is at the top of the pan, but it should be at this level running, warm and in neutral.

So once you mark the dipstick using my method, you will start it up, add fluid so that warm, running it is at the same level.