Trans brake question

G. Price

I hear alot of people swearing by their trans brake. I don't know much if anything about them. Anybody care to explain how they work. Does the motor build boost while on the brake? How damaging to the trans , motor, suspension. I guess I'm looking for a little lesson of them. Thanks in advance.

Imagine dumping the clutch in a 700 ft lb car with a manual transmission and having it hook at the strip. Thats what it feels like. You are loading the engine without sending power through the chassis. The transmission is locked and the engine has to drive against the torque converter. When the brake is released either mechanically or hydraulically through a solenoid the power is sent rapidly to the chassis causing a tremendous shock on the rear suspension which will increase the ability of a car to hook if the suspension is set up correctly. The components after the transmission are most prone to breakage from the shock loading. Ive seen input shafts break while building boost on the transbrake also. It will release faster and more consistently than the foot brake making for better reaction times.

Thanks. I kinda envision it being like doing a nuetral drop. How bad or often do you break things. Is it common?

its nothing like a neutral drop. you will only break things if you get crazy with high boost launches. also depends on your current build on the tranny,tires,and how much power your making.

its nothing like a neutral drop. you will only break things if you get crazy with high boost launches. also depends on your current build on the tranny,tires,and how much power your making.

For the most part I agree. (see below)
If you have a well built trans, you will not have an issue.

It is more like being rearended by a dump truck then a neutral drop!:eek::wink:

Brian

For the most part I agree. (see below)
If you have a well built trans, you will not have an issue.

It is more like being rearended by a dump truck then a neutral drop!:eek::wink:

Brian
:biggrin: I agree!! :biggrin: 15lb launch a month ago was a treat! but I folded the 26'' slicks cause I only had 11.5lbs of air in them. other than that it was deffinatly like getting rearended buy a 50mph cement truck! :biggrin:

Thanks to Brian, this trans is still going strong for the second year now!

Scot w.