Trans Brake Question

Axl

SITH LORD
I dont know anything about a T-brake, can somebody fill me in on how it works and how hard it is on the trans. Do you need to upgrade anything when installing it?

im no pro, but heres what i know. there are 2 types. a reverse pattern valve body that you install about $600, and you engauge the brake with a switch. or you can modify your valve body to have manual LO to be the brake, mine is that way, cost about $100, sometimes referred to as a 'stage right' brake. both work the same way, when engauged the trans is in 1st gear, and reverse at the same time, holding the car so you can build rpm or boost, than launch.

Ok i sort of see the picture now, but what about how hard it is on the trans. Is it very stressful on it or not so much. Would the stock axle and drive shaft still be good to go or do they need to be upgraded?

Thanks for the help

10PSI launch is a good stopping point for the stock axles. Works like a charm. Very fun. Worth every penny.

I've had the stage right brake for a year now and love it.(The picture above was Bowling Green 05 ) No more concerns about the foot brake not holding and the car creeping through the lights, plus the wheels up launches are a blast. :D

I run a Hipster on TH400... LOTS OF FUN!!!

It's hard on the rear and DS, so just be careful...

GO FAST said:
I've had the stage right brake for a year now and love it.(The picture above was Bowling Green 05 ) No more concerns about the foot brake not holding and the car creeping through the lights, plus the wheels up launches are a blast. :D
what kind of rpm and boost are you leaving with? how many launches has the trans survived? im going to install a stage right brake over the winter and was wondering about the longevity. thanks

Bird, I run an Art Carr 3600 stall converter, I usually leave with anywhere from 15 to 20 psi boost. To be honest i'm not exactly sure what the RPM is at that boost ( too many gauges to look at while trying to watch the tree) I just basically put it on the floor then disengage the brake. Over the past year i've put about 80 passes with the brake, 0 problems. I also run the billet foward drum.

What shifter are you guys using with this set up??
And what ones fit without modifing the Console??

Or is there a mod that can be done to the stock shifter so that when you dont put the trans in Nutral when you shift up. :confused:

I like the stock look and would love to keep it that way but from what I know the shifter has to be changed??

Looking at a brake for mine but this is a delema I can see me leaving and hitting Nutral instead of Drive :eek:

Thunderace31,
You can use the stock shifter. When you would get a StageRight brake, you got a new shifter gate for inside the console. When I sell one of my transmissions with a brake, I provide a template to modify your gate to keep it from going past drive.
With that mod, the shifter will stop short of OD or N for that matter. To shift into OD you need to push the shifter button.
Thanks, Brian

Thanks Brian I will be with you very very soon for a trans :D
One more question what pumps are you putting in your trans's??
Thanks
Derek

One thing you should have for safty is a shift gate that has a pattern cut in it that will NOT allow you go into 1st (trans-locked) without first depressing the button on the shifter handle. Then, when you are staged with trans locked, you want to have the shifter stop in D when you throw it forward. Many changes to the shift gate. Art Carrr has one also if you need it, that's where mine was made.

Youy don't want to hit the trans brake by accident :eek:

Thunderace 31,
I use the B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter, works awsome, fits in the stock center console and looks great.

okay im still kinda lost read through all the post, tell me if i got this right you are free reving in N and then dropping it in drive when you launch like a nutreal bomb?

GO FAST said:
Bird, I run an Art Carr 3600 stall converter, I usually leave with anywhere from 15 to 20 psi boost. To be honest i'm not exactly sure what the RPM is at that boost ( too many gauges to look at while trying to watch the tree) I just basically put it on the floor then disengage the brake. Over the past year i've put about 80 passes with the brake, 0 problems. I also run the billet foward drum.

thanks for the reply. ive got one of mike kurts trans brakes, ill be installing it this weekend.

turboimpala said:
okay im still kinda lost read through all the post, tell me if i got this right you are free reving in N and then dropping it in drive when you launch like a nutreal bomb?
your trans works same as always except now you put the shifter in the "1" position and the trans is locked as in car wont move, like your on the brake pedal but your not. at this point you can load the boost until the desired point and when your ready, you move the shifter forward into 2nd or drive(depending if you want to shift into 3rd manually or let the trans shift itself) and away you go.

turboimpala said:

After you have mastered that, then try the reverse-to-D Super Bomb. (Just kidding, of course)

would this work on a FWD like mine, i drive a Wbody impala, and by doing this would i have to shift mannualy because i have all my shift points set im my pcm that works best for the car?