Trans actring funny.. what is it?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys,

While I have rebuilt a manual trans or two over the years, auto trannys are still a dark art to me, so please bear with my ignorance.

I've noticed over the last few months that the trans in my hotair 85 has started to act a little funny. There are 2 different issues I've noticed. First (and most bothersome) is that on the 1-2 shift, if I'm anything over mild accelereration (like maybe 1/2 throttle) the shift takes a loooong time and seems to slip (like the revs will climb up and then settle back into their lower 2nd gear RPM, over the course of a second or so). If I am flooring it, it slips/flares even worse an longer.

The second issue I've noticed is that occaisionally (usually at cruising speeds or light freeway acceleration) the engine RPMs will oscillate up and down for a second or so, even though my throttle input stays the same.

Any light you guys can shed on potential causes would be appreciated. Do i need a rebuild? just a new TC? any other possible causes (non-trans related)? Thanks for the expertise guys.

I'm no expert but, I'll take a stab.
1st>> Sounds like the 2nd/Intermediate Band is fried.
2nd>> TCC/TorqueConverterClutch Solenoid cycling on/off, =150-200rpm change.

The more times that 1-2 flare/slip happens, the more it damages the direct drum. May wind up getting a new drum if the band surface isn't flat anymore.