Tranny woes strike again.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
Welp, Tracey and I took Sarah to the track tonight.
Absolutely perfect weather, overcast skies with temps in the 60-58* range. Track was hooking very good as well. Lot's of wheels up launches from other cars. Since my last track visits I've changed three things.

PT6776RHP turbo with HD actuator and .63 A/R housing
RJC 375 FM Intercooler
BuickGN Big Mouth cold air kit and 4" MAF pipe

I took the car out for a spin back in August and could feel the tranny slipping between shifts. I knew that the trans only had about 2-3 more passes left before it was all she wrote. I also could feel the car falling on it's face at RPMs above 4500. On a hunch this past Thursday, I put my Caspers coil pack tester on my coil pack ignition module and thought I see if maybe my hunch was correct. Twisted the knob and yep, the spark completely went out before I had the knob turned half way up. I ordered both parts from Gyrhead & Sons. Got the coil on Friday, but UPS screwed up and didn't deliver the Ign Module on Friday. So, I took my original 20 year old ignition module and installed my new coil and retested. All was good, strong spark all the way to max. Put it back together, rolled the wheel well trim with an 8# mini sledge hammer and took off the cat con.
Made it to the track, drained 1/2 gallon of 93 pump gas out and poured in 10 gallons of C16. First pass went like this.

E-braked at 12psi. Boost went to 23psi and the car felt strong until the 1-2 shift. The trans slipped and slid on the 1-2 shift for about 1 second. :rolleyes: Figures. I told myself, welp, here comes a 12 second pass. I lock the converter after the shift to 3rd and breeze through the traps. I hit recall on the return road and see .761 O2 and Zero KR. Not too bad, but how badly did that 1-2 slipping hurt me?
Time slip read 12.48 @ 107 with a 1.66 short time. Sigh... The trans is done. I decided to let her cool for one hour and if she slipped again, or worse, I was done and it's time for a trans.

2nd pass, I turned up the boost to what I figured would be 25-26psi, added just a little bit of fuel under WOT, took some fuel out of 1st and changed the timing to have 27.1* timing in all gears. Gotta love C16.

2nd pass, did a good smoky burn out, second one ever on these new ET Streets. As I was spooling up on the E-brake, the car was bogging down like PE was trying to kick in and flooding the car. Boost was slowly building up. When I saw 17psi on the gauge I let her go. She literally jumped sideways hooked, spun and hooked back up in the first 10 feet. DAMN! She's making some power now I thought. Time for the 1-2 shift and I will try to describe the action with words.
AhhhhhhhAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHaaaaahhhhhhhAHHHHHHHHHHHHHahhhhhhhhhhh!
Like it didn't want to shift and was slipping very badly at the same time for over a second. 2-3 was fine and I locked up the converter and felt a nice thunk when I hit the switch. Boost was at a rock steady 26psi and she was honking. O2s were headed south, but I didn't see any KR on the big end, so I stayed in it. Crossed the traps and thought, ehh, she's definitely making more power, but the trans is really gonna kill the ET. I bet it's only a low 12. That slip was horrible.

I hit the recall on the return road and my heart jumps up in my throat.
.695 O2 and 9.1 KR. YIKES!!! :eek: I hit both buttons at the same time on the Scanmaster and see that the .695 was at 84mph and the 9.1 KR was at 40 mph. Ok, whew. The KR was while the tranny was getting stupid and not on the big end. So, she wasn't running 27* timing with O2s that low through the traps.
I get my slip and it reads,
1.66 60ft, 12.38 @ 108 mph. Yep, I'm done, trans is toast. She is definitely making power and I know for sure, she'll run easy 11.30s with a fresh trans and my 9" Art Carr converter. I gave her the once over back in the pits and all was well, coolant smelled and looked good, oil looked and smelled good, she was purring like a kitten during her cool down and temps we very stable in the 165-168 range.

I packed her up and Tracey and I made the 60 mile trip back home without any problems. Tranny is definitely toast tho. But I know she's gonna fly with a fresh trans and the 9" Art Carr converter I have here waiting to go in.

Here are a few pics of my current setup.

DSC00951-1.jpg

7-22-07305.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

Can't wait to get a new tranny and install this converter. Looks like it's time to give Brian a call once I get some scratch together.
Thanks for reading everyone. 11.30s are in the cards for next year.

Patrick

Thanks for sharing the info, sucks about the trans but at least you know this new turbo has potential. Unforunate that we are all running out of time for decent weather this year. All this discussion about the 67 turbos in the turbo forum lately has me wanting one bad.

Patrick,

Thanks for the post and I am sorry about the tranny!
Next time out I expect you to throw down at least an
11.3 @ 120 plus for Tracey!!!

BTW the car looks sick!

Sorry to hear about that Pat. It looks like none of us with a basically stock set up and the new 6776 dbb are gonna provide some track times. I am hoping to go to the track first week of November. I just installed a RJC plate and have the boost set at 25 psi.... 25.1 timing in 1/2 and 21 degrees in 3/4 and the car feels like an ANIMAL!:eek: 0.0 knock with the alky and cant launch at all on the street. It will fry the et streets for 75 feet worth of black marks.:cool:

I hope I can hook at the track to get some sort of E.T. I love this turbo! My tranny from Brian is holding up well....he will fix you up right. The PTC 3200 stall is dead on also. Thanks Dusty.;)

Sorry to hear about that Pat. It looks like none of us with a basically stock set up and the new 6776 dbb are gonna provide some track times. I am hoping to go to the track first week of November. I just installed a RJC plate and have the boost set at 25 psi.... 25.1 timing in 1/2 and 21 degrees in 3/4 and the car feels like an ANIMAL!:eek: 0.0 knock with the alky and cant launch at all on the street. It will fry the et streets for 75 feet worth of black marks.:cool:

I hope I can hook at the track to get some sort of E.T. I love this turbo! My tranny from Brian is holding up well....he will fix you up right. The PTC 3200 stall is dead on also. Thanks Dusty.;)

This is exactly what I want to hear!
Give that baby a kiss and go and get some times for me!:wink:
Just Kidding...

Patrick, that's the way it goes. Slippin tranny last time I made a pass. Now with the new tranny it's whole new car. The car is looking great! It's amazing what new wheels do. Tinted windows too.

JW, I figure I'd give you an update. After the Champion Irons/intake and the 220/220 .513 Comp roller my car is hauling ass! 23-24 psi on pump gas with alky (no knock). I told 87Nat this morning I'm scared to go any higher with boost. Bone stock 60k short block. This car feels like it's running 124 mph or better. We'll see. I'm driving it to Reynolds (550 miles) and may make a pass there.

Patrick, that's the way it goes. Slippin tranny last time I made a pass. Now with the new tranny it's whole new car. The car is looking great! It's amazing what new wheels do. Tinted windows too.

JW, I figure I'd give you an update. After the Champion Irons/intake and the 220/220 .513 Comp roller my car is hauling ass! 23-24 psi on pump gas with alky (no knock). I told 87Nat this morning I'm scared to go any higher with boost. Bone stock 60k short block. This car feels like it's running 124 mph or better. We'll see. I'm driving it to Reynolds (550 miles) and may make a pass there.

Wow that is going to be scary fast.
Please make your own thread when you make it out.
That way we can give you all the attention you deserve.
What is your injector DC and AFR?

No data as far as duty cycle. 02's are in the .830 to .800's. Haven't started to tune it with the LM1 yet. I was having knock issues before with boost spikes. I got that fixed. Pretty much added 20% of fuel to the chip and maxed the alky out. I'm at the point where I need a dual nozzle set up. I'm not gonna start leaning on it until after Reynolds. The tune is real safe right now, don't want to hurt it before Reynolds.

To me it feels like a high 10 second car at around 124-125 mph. It's been a while since I sold my GN but my butt dyno has a good memory. I may make a hit in Reynolds, but if it broke I'd be screwed.

Sounds awesome, that's the combo I eventually want to end up with. 6776, ported irons + intake, roller cam.

Sounds awesome, that's the combo I eventually want to end up with. 6776, ported irons + intake, roller cam.

You have to have a big check book like Turbo6 to get all those goodys....He says he works all the time or something like that:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Patrick,
Do you have front springs or spindles on the car? It sits really nice.

Thanks,
-Banning.

Hey Pat, sorry I couldn't make it this past weekend. I'm so busy with so many things. Sounds like that trans is toasted. I know the feeling. I'm gonna call you one of these nights to catch up with you. Hope all is well.

"Tranny woes strike again."

Did I hear what I thought I heard?;)
If you don`t have someone pinned down, I know someone that can hook you up!

Brian