Tranny Time

TurboSlacker

SINISTR
The time has come to beef up the tranny. Running at higher boost and power has finally exposed a weakness. The 1-2 shift is as soft as mashed potatoes and slow as molasses. The 2-3, 3-4 is fine. Frank and I yank it today, and we'll get it to Dave Splett to work on it.

Any advice on what parts I definitely should do to the tranny while its out?

You did have the TV cable set to were WOT makes it TIGHT and almost bending the bracket and racheting the adjustment:)

Alto,s wide 2nd gear band for sure:)
Larger 2nd gear servo
Depending on what sift kit its a good idea but the wrong one is a bad idea because after you drill out the seperator plate you cant go back:eek: Thats why a untouched BRF code VB and seperator plate is hard to find. Most eveyone has been messed with...

Ya, the TV cable was at the final notch position and was so tight that it wouldn't open the throttle plate fully. I've had it in that position for over a year. 1-2 is really slipping bad, but 2-3 and 3-4 still shifted firm so the TV cable shouldn't be the culprit.

Called Dave Splett this morning and he's going to work on this week. Hopefully I'll get it back sometime next week. I simply described to him what I'm looking for out of this tranny rebuild. It will be similar to Gene and Dennis' setup. Crisp shifts that can handle a low11/high 10 second GN for future potential. Just don't make it jar my dentures out like Frank's. ;)

Originally posted by TurboSlacker
Called Dave Splett this morning and he's going to work on this week. Hopefully I'll get it back sometime next week.

WOW, that would be awesome!

Are you bringing him the whole car, or just the tranny? I know he is faster if he just has the tranny, doesn't have to wait for a rack to clear that way....

I know that I was in this situation not too long ago and relied heavily on Mike Beenie. I'm just paying it forward!;)

Initial estimate was $1400. That's just for the tranny rebuild and beefing-up. Might be a little more if he had to do the R&R out of the car. It's nice to just drop off the tranny.

Originally posted by TurboSlacker
Initial estimate was $1400. That's just for the tranny rebuild and beefing-up. Might be a little more if he had to do the R&R out of the car. It's nice to just drop off the tranny.

Does that include a new converter Dan?

I can't remember for sure, but I think I paid Dave about $1,800 a year and a half ago for my rebuild. That included the installation of a tranny cooler, and R&R, but I provided my own converter which knocked a couple of hundred off.

Does NOT include new converter.

We'll see what the total $ is when I pick it up...which might just be tomorrow believe it or not!! :eek: :cool:

Mostly burned bands. No breakage. I'll get all the details on the parts replaced and improved on. I have no clue about what most stuff goes in a tranny. :rolleyes:

Dave builds each 200-4R to the customer's preferrences. He'll also redo specific areas if not completely satisfied. For example, if I don't like how the OD shifts, he'll tweak it. Gotta love it!

Finally the tranny is in and running well. Shifts really subtle and smoothly with part throttle and hits hard in WOT. Exactly how I wanted it with driving kids around and running at the track!

Rebuild goodies: clutch packs, red eagle bands, billet drum, valve body massaged, line pressures adjusted above 200, heavy duty billet servo, 10 vane pump, heavy duty pressure regulator system, tweaked lube to planets and thrust. No clue what half this stuff is but the key is that it sounds good and more importantly it runs good.

Now, back to terrorizing Mustangs:cool:

wish mine did that

I have a pts shift kit and a preasure regulator. I am pretty sure I put the firm spring in but it still shifts hard until warms up a bit. I guess I will wait till I have to do a rebuild. It sounds like that is a really good combo on the trans though.