Tranny shifting problems

1nadrag

OK I just had my tranny rebuilt again and it is still not shifting into 2nd until about 3900 rpm's. I adjusted the tv cable multiple times and that didn't help. Could it be in the valve body? I used Bruces shift kit. It is really Starting to piss me off. This is the 2nd rebuild in less than 1 month. for some reason all the new clutches and band were burnt in less then 20 miles on the first one. Low pressure? I put in a new billet sevo and that didn't help. PLEASE help me.
Thanks Tom

Do yourself and your transmission a favor.

Get your hands on a 0-300 psi pressure gauge and about 5 feet of hose. Tap into the 1/8" pipe test port on the transmission case just above where the shifter hooks up.

Then, jump back on here and tell us what you see. Take it easy so you don't kill your clutches!

OK took a pressure test on the tranny today and this is what i got.

At idle: 175-180 pounds
In reverse brake on:230- Brake off: 250
Neutral:180
drive:180

Now because it wasn't shifting into 2nd until 3900 rpm's I pulled the govenor out and 1 spring was missing. I put 1 in but it still shifts late. I jacked up the back of the car and took off the tv cable from the throttle and ran the car. It did shift alot sooner. Am I running to much pressure? It is a stock rebuild with a 3000
12inch stall, billet servo and pst shift kit. This tranny issue is really starting to get to me. Anybody please help.
Thanks Tom

Too much pressure at idle. I'd take more TV out till the pressure was at 120ish in drive at idle. Make sure it still pulls the cable out all the way just before WOT on the throttlebody. You'll want 250+ at WOT.

OK I diconnected the tv cable from the throttle and stil had 180- 185 pounds of pressure. I then pulled on the tv cable while the car was running and it made no change. What the hell is going on. What do I need to look for?
Thanks Tom

OK I replaced the tv valve and springs from another valve body I have sitting here. Now my pressure it up to 190 pounds at idle and it doesn't shift at all! Anybody want to buy a gn cheap? I have had it with these cars. Once I fix it, it's going. Any more suggestions I can try.

What do you mean doesn't shift at all? The shifter won't move or it does move and it won't go into gear?

In drive it won't shift now. All the way up to 4000 rpm's and it hasn't shifted out of first., so I let of the gas. This is just plain driving not racing. I don't dare try wot to see if it shifts.

Are you missing the T.V. exhuast check ball plunger thing? Don't know if you can tell but I'm not a tranny expert:D . Anyway, I put in a shift kit and left mine out and it wouldn't shift out of first until almost 5,000 rpm no matter what. It's just a stupid piece of bent wire and a spring that go's under the T.V. bracket. Just a thought.;)

Yes that piece is still there. I am going to pull the valve body down again and look at the check balls to make sure they are in the right spot. After going to 2 different rebuilders who knows where they are placed now.

check the boost valve

I put in a boost valve & had the inner piston in upside down & had fuul line all the time. Easier than the VB too. Just a thought.

Jim