Tranny rebuild?

jeromeleti

I'm not too knowledgeable on transmissions, so I have a few questions:
1. My T-Lmtd almost sounds like the engine is going (rattle from under) when I'm idling in gear, but when I take it out of gear, I don't hear the rattling. My tranny still shifts normal (as far as I know), but do I need a rebuild?
2. What's better 2004R or 700R4?
3. Does anyone know if there is any good quality tranny shops in the Fort Walton Beach area?
4. I have a Kirban TA49, 36# injectors, Cotton FM, Pypes exhaust, TH 3.5, RA street & strip chip...I'd like to upgrade my turbo to a TA62 with matching injectors in the future. What would be the best converter for now and then?

Thank you to any one for helping!

Jerome

Before writing off the trans, Check your converter to flex plate bolts. Sounds like they may have worked loose.

Before writing off the trans, Check your converter to flex plate bolts. Sounds like they may have worked loose.

I agree. Also check for loose exhaust clamps/hangers/pipes and other under car bolts. The idle changes when there is a load on the drive line and the driveline and suspension positions move so something that may rattle at idle may not rattle in gear.

As far as trans choices. The 2004r is better for our cars. The only thing that a 700r4 has is a better o/d ratio. Plus I don't think that a 700r4 will fit our cars with out firewall and floorboard modifications.

As far as trans choices. The 2004r is better for our cars. The only thing that a 700r4 has is a better o/d ratio. Plus I don't think that a 700r4 will fit our cars with out firewall and floorboard modifications.

The 2004R has more overdrive (.63 vs .7) A 700R4 will fit in our cars with no mods to the firewall or floorboards. The mount is further forward and the driveshaft will have to be cut. As far as choice, the 2004R is better for our cars. Been there, done that. :)

Thank you all! Today, I tightened up the bolts on the flex plate. Thank God! Something that sounded real bad ended up being just a small problem. Thanks again for the advice on the comparison, also.

Jerome

Yeah the 200 has a closer ratio between the gear s vs the 700 the steep first gear inthe 700 gets u going but the shift to second is a sizable difference vs the 200

The 200 is more buildable than the 700 imo. The 200 is the way to go for a street driven car.