Tranny Probs--BIG Time..!

TurboMonte 2

Car Nut
Not beating on it or anything abynormal, just rounded a corner after highway cruise, and:

1) Lurches/ chatters in 1st (grabs--releases--grabs-- you get the idea),
2) Chatters in Park,
3) Eventually shifts out of 1st, etc., &
4) no convertor lockup for "lucky" 30 mi trip home, then next day ck it out &,
5) Won't shift out of 1st,
6) Won't be in/go into 2nd when selector in 2 position,
7) Really slips in Reverse, &
8) Fluid level=OK = 1 Pt overfull...

Tranny has less than 5k mi since total rebuild & less than 3k since prob w/ very early shift from 2-3 (even under boost) & "dirt in valve body"?

Any IDEAS? :mad:

Monte, as you know...my converter is trash. It has been trash for a while now.

But eventually it just starting puking it's internals right into the trans.

I had the same problem,at first it would not go into fourth, then no lock up no matter what then it would not shift out of first...

The only things that could stop it from shifting is gov' spring popped out or there is debris in the valve body making the valves stick. In my case it was debris from the converter.

What converter do you have?

BTW, mine went out just cruising on the highway.

must be bad voodoo this month for converters......since mine threw up into my new trans rebuild. debirs was the definate cause of mine not shifting out of first as well

must be bad voodoo this month for converters......since mine threw up into my new trans rebuild. debirs was the definate cause of mine not shifting out of first as well

This sucks because you have to take the trans out and have it completely cleaned. And of course a NEW converter. And while you're in there might as well upgrad the flexplate because you know that will probably crack 10 miles down the road after you get back together, lol.

More for my combo, if I get a coverter that puts all my power to the wheels I'll be breaking all kinds of things, LOL:D

Convertor = stock D5--restalled to 2800'ish. Had it rebuilt along w/ tranny also around 5k mi ago--new billet input shaft (was sheared off), etc. Had lock-up clutch/disk replaced then. Slippage now in 1st against foot-brake still = normal. :confused:

Did you replace your "trash convertor" yet?

Convertor = stock D5--restalled to 2800'ish. Had it rebuilt along w/ tranny also around 5k mi ago--new billet input shaft (was sheared off), etc. Had lock-up clutch/disk replaced then. Slippage now in 1st against foot-brake still = normal. :confused:

Did you replace your "trash convertor" yet?

What caused your input to break?

Mine did too and it was because I had 4 bolts back out of the engine and put the trans out of line....I think this is also what may have caused my converter failure.

I am ordering a Precision Industies Vigalante 5 -disk / and tube kit tomorrow. I still have to pull trans, tear it apart/clean. Also ordering an Extender Extreme race chip.

I assume it will be ready for the road in a couple of weeks.

What caused your input to break?

I really don't know--it was shortly after I got car & I had not really beat on it. Several thou mi after convertor & tranny rebuilds I did have a loose convertor bolt (not properly installed @ rebuild?), & then soon after a cracked/ broken flex plate became evident, & was replaced.

I think I may have mislead you re: my breakage. It was my input HUB to the converter that sheared-off--not input shaft to tranny. Sorry for any mislead...

My "tranny guy" picked up the GN on his flatbed this afternoon. As he does not do converter work, I need to now do some potential converter shopping--perhaps even for a mildly-built tranny itself.