tranny problem

H

hazard2k

i have a 85 monte carlo SS which has a 2004R transmission in it and heres the problem..

ok, well ever since i got the car, about 2 months ago from my uncle, the transmission has been making noise. My uncle said it did it when he owned the car also, but cant remember since when...

anyway.. it only does it sometimes.. not all the time which confuses me. when it goes to shift (auto tranny), it makes kind of a buzzing sound. it does it when i go to shift into other gears also, like into reverse or drive from park or whatever.

I took it to a transmission place, but by the time i got there the noise was very faint and the guy who worked there didnt hear it when he took it for a ride. But he said it felt like it was shifting fine so the tranny wasnt the problem. He insisted that it was just a rattle from something under the car.

I dont know what to do about it, has this happened to anyone before and what was wrong with it? Should i go back to the tranny place, or even a different one to see what they say? i still think it is the tranny by the way it makes the sound. PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS!!! thanks

in the pumps on a 2004r and a 700r4 there is a pressure regulator valve, it had a tendency to make a buzzing sound from the front of the trans you need to remove the valve and grind the land off of it it is the second land from the top of the valve if temoved from the pump in the car
that has been my experience with that noise,or ou can buy a modified pressure regulator valve from performance transmisions email member WE4 he has the part

Yep, spounds like Pressure Regulator buzz. Try adding a quart of 30w oil to it. See if it settles it down. Don't laugh......Try it.
Ck fluid level closely......

Bruce
We4
www.ptsnctb.com

ok thanks for the replys.. ill try the oil thing first, if not i guess ill have to do the mod. This buzzing doesnt hurt the transmission does it?

Yes it does. Eventually the pump rings will break as they are oscillating back and forth rapidly. This is a common failure on 200-4R's.

really? because my uncle who gave me the car said it has been doing it for a LONG time, what should i do about it?

In the car do as KLHAMMETT posted. Out of the car install a TransGo Hi Rev Pump Ring Kit. It comes with strong rings that will hold up and a priming spring that will not center out the pump rotor at high RPM's and drop your line pressure.