Tranny issues

Rocket Power

Ok, so the 200 4R in my 86 442 is starting to die on me. It likes to pump fluid out of the front seal when travelling above 60mph for any length of time. Slips into second and third if it is warm and the TV cable isn't set right to the max. TC is grounding inside the tranny somewhere so I have a toggle switch on the positive side.

So, I decided to buy a replacement. Since I don't have the $$$$ for a good rebuild (3000 - 4000) I decided to buy a used one. I picked up a tranny out of a caddy that has nice fluid color. It comes with a D5 convertor so I can use it instead of mine (only drops 150 rpm when locked) but I'm worried about its lifespan. It will be behind a 403 with a few goodies.

What parts should I swap from my 442 tranny to it? I'm assuming the valve body since the 442 is the next best thing to a TR tranny. Any other issues that I should take care of? I don't want to rebuild this one, but I also don't want granny shifts and a short lifespan.

I printed out the post on the top of the page and will read it tonight, but I assume that is more geared to rebuilding a tranny.

If anyone knows why my 442 tranny is acting like it is I'd like to know. It is coming out regardless, but I'd like to learn something.

Thank you very much for any help or advice.