Tranny Fluid drain or flush

Polecat

I'm new to all of this but been really enjoying getting under my 87 GN. I acquired the car recently and really have no history of the maintenance that has been done.

It has been suggested to me to have the transmission fluid reverse flushed, but another guy told me not to do that because the tranny never shifts properly afterwards and to just replace the fluid.

Should I just get underneath the car drain the tranny oil, remove the pan and install a new gasket and replace the fluid or is this best to be done by a transmission shop?

in my experience it is best to go to a tranny shop and have them hook it up to the machine that pumps out old fluid while pumping in new fluid after changing the filter. take caution not to over tighten the pan bolts, if you smash the gasket you are sure to have a leak.. good luck, damon

Fluid exchanger replaced the trans fluid then I dropped the pan and changed the filter. Replaced with brand new fluid. Costly but good insurance.

We do the exchange at work on a lot of cars but I recommend that if there is a problem beforehand that it will only make it worse. Can't expect new fluid to fix an ailing trans. On a car that it is working fine still and a full fluid exchange is wanted, then they still turn out good. I see no problem with doing a complete flush. They only "don't shift properly afterwards" if there is sediment that is going thru the system and you knock more of it loose. We have done cars that have 100k miles without routine maintenance and they work fine after the flush. :)