Trannies in TTA's

3.8TransAM

I know there is a trans board here, pretty damn good one too.

Looking to get a little more insite than over there considering 3/4 of the posts get hammered by bickering.

New combo is putting a real hurting on my trans :) Used to bark 3'rd, now its mush slip grab, good'ele 2-3 flair.

Anyhow, I built it as a 10sec capable engine(hoping to ge there eventually).

So I want to know who here that runs mid 11 thru mid 10 range has done to their trans', who was it done by and about what it ran $$$$ wise. I know it varies alot depending on the hard parts.

I have a Vigi 3k stall as is now.

Engine has:

210/210 roller cam
PT-67 turbo
ported champion heads
ported champion intake
and so on and so forth :)

So I need long lasting trans options for the 200r4

thanks guys
Jeremy

Some items some may say not needed. i'll give you what i've done and has worked for me.

HD stator
10 vane pump
billet servo
alto wide band
billet drum
alto clutches
heat treated OD ring
Billet input shaft
Bigger TV boost valves
roller center support

And someone who is careful assembling the transmission. There are things like the billet OD assy.. that is really the last weak link. Last time I built the tranny I had close to 2k in hard parts.

My current car has a PTS Extreme tranny with the bat brake.

Real suggestion, build it as strong as you can afford.. and let a Buick guy do it.. else your house of cards will come down pretty quick. Will say this.. dont scimp on the pump.. as it is the heart of the tranny. On a high TQ app like your doing.. joe blo down the street wont be able and build it correctly. There are too many things he just doesnt know that is specific to these tranny's.

My buddy Richie had Lonnie build him a tranny for like 1800. His car ran 10.05 last week. But the hard part list is the hard part list. Things like input shafts, billet OD's, etc.. judgement call.

HTH

3.8TransAM said:
So I need long lasting trans options for the 200r4

IMO a TH400 is the only long lasting option. No matter how well you build the 200 it can still let go at anytime. Though I guess it depends on how much you'll race the car. I put around 200 passes and 5-8K miles a season on my car, so far the only problem I had was the torque converter sprag earlier this year - other than that it's been just oil/filter changes every hundred passes for the last 4 years. And it cost under $1500 to build including converter.

If your not planning on racing much and just driving the car mostly then Razor hit the nail on the head, have somebody that knows these trannies build it.

HTH,
Steve

Yeah, u pretty much hit what I was thinking on the head Razor.

I also know not too let anyone touch a GM OD trans that isnt good at it in the first place lol

Anyone here runing a 200r4 from Jimmy's in Mundelein into the low 11 high 10 range?

Done a lot of searching here and other trans boards, just wanting to hear what u guys are actually running in your cars.

lol Maybe I'll get ballsy and do it myself, wouldnt be my first trans by far, just hate if I kill $$$$ hard parts lol

later
Jeremy

3.8TransAM said:
lol Maybe I'll get ballsy and do it myself, wouldnt be my first trans by far, just hate if I kill $$$$ hard parts lol

later
Jeremy

Jeremy.. our professional tranny builder with 20 years experience... took him a few tries to get our 2004r's to "hang" together. After you take it up-n-down a few times.. its best to let a professional thats been "burned and learned" to have the helm. Add up the parts.. aint worth it for the few hundred they make.. you can probably get Jimmy to do a bench job.. and you do the up-n-down. Our transmissions are the easiest i've ever done.. 1 hour down.. 1 hour up.. on the floor. Takes longer to jack the car up and put it on stands.

As cheap and crafty as I am.. i'll leave this to someone else to get burned. But if you decide to... good luck.

I have 2 200r4's I've done running in Turbo Buicks :)

I am shocked too lol Built one for my best friend in school and did the other for another frined a few years ago lol.

Just neither is remotely close to what I am planning on doing for power or qrtr et.

I'm prolly going to use my 87 GN trans as a core and have someone rebuild it and install it in the car. I'm pretty good on my car now, done the engine, head gaskets twice :) lol (kinda cheating I am a mechanic by trade too lol)

I will prlly start off locally by talking to Jimmy in Mundelain first he is very good and knowledgeable and many chicago club members have his trans. My tta was his from prior owner and he idd the 700 in my 91 Formula. Just not sure if he is comfortable with the 200r4 into the bottom 11 god forbid mid 10 range.

Also want to investigate Janis, as they did a few guys' trans here and also our boys Bruce P's car :)

I am just worried about hard parts lol I have seen a 9 sec stock input shaft last and a 14 sec turd snap lol

later and thanks so far
Jeremy