Tragic accident at Kansas City speed shop

YouLikeThat

I thought I would Let my friends at turbobuick.com know that we lost a great guy and another in serious condition after a horrible dune buggy accident. Tommy was a good friend with my brother and I knew him also. Very stand up guy that was well known and respected in the KC car scene. Dorian is also a good friend of my brother's and I know him also. He is in very serious condition, He is a great person to know and to have in the car hobby.

Please respect you cars, know your limits and use the safety gear you should.
Be safe,
Scott
Man dies in dune buggy accident in Lenexa business park - KansasCity.com

A 26-year-old man was killed Friday evening when a dune buggy overturned in a Lenexa business park.

Another young man in the vehicle went to a hospital with critical head injuries, authorities said.

The accident happened about 5:30 p.m. at 83rd Terrace and Flint Street, just west of Interstate 35.

Lenexa police said they thought the victims worked in the area and may have been test-driving what appeared to be a custom-made dune buggy.

Some of the victims’ friends, gathering at the scene in the hours after the accident, said at least one occupant of the dune buggy worked at the House of Boost, a nearby performance auto shop.

“It’s just a shock,” said Jeremy Willert of Kansas City, Kan. “I wouldn’t expect this to happen to either one of them guys. They know their limits.”

After the accident, the maroon dune buggy could be seen overturned in a parking lot outside Building 29 in the Pine Ridge West business park. The right-front passenger wheel was severely bent.

Officers suspect the buggy was going north on Flint and was unable to make a sharp left turn onto 83rd Terrace. Instead it went over a landscaped embankment and came to rest in the parking lot.

Both men were ejected, police said, and it appeared they weren’t belted in.

“Had they been wearing a seat belt, they would have just been banged up a little bit,” said Lt. Gerry Cullumber of the Lenexa Police Department.

The injured man was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center, where no information was available late Friday on his condition.

Read more: Man dies in dune buggy accident in Lenexa business park - KansasCity.com

Yeah, I saw that on the news. We will never know what actually happened, but they should have been strapped in. This is a dangerous hobby. I hope the person in critical survives. :(

dune buggy+no seat belts+industrial park= me not feeling sorry for anyone involved that gets hurt or killed.
i feel bad for their families and friends, but not the people involved.

dune buggy+no seat belts+industrial park= me not feeling sorry for anyone involved that gets hurt or killed.
i feel bad for their families and friends, but not the people involved.

Dude, A bad decision does not make someone stupid. It's a tragic accident that probably could have been prevented. Stuff happens and it's a shame people get hurt or killed. I guess you feel it serves them right and they learned their lesson?

Dude, A bad decision does not make someone stupid. It's a tragic accident that probably could have been prevented. Stuff happens and it's a shame people get hurt or killed. I guess you feel it serves them right and they learned their lesson?

yeah, stuff happens.. when an innocent bystander gets taken out by someone else being stupid, that is a tragedy.
when people get taken out due to their own stupidity, that's proof of Darwin's theory of evolution.

yeah, stuff happens.. when an innocent bystander gets taken out by someone else being stupid, that is a tragedy.
when people get taken out due to their own stupidity, that's proof of Darwin's theory of evolution.

Gotta Agree with you on this one!
IF the one guy survives I bet he wears SAFETY GEAR next ride!