TR6 Ignition with Accufab Plenum & Spacer

Turbo38V6

Anyone able to get this to mount on the stock bracket ignition bracket with an Accufab plenum and a spacer between plenum and intake? Even if I remove the back screw, the TR6 box bolts don't go completely through the stock bracket.

Wondering if I need to relocate (hopefully not, new wires then) or if anyone has done anything interesting with the stock bracket to make this work.

Or if I should just remove the 1/2" plenum spacer...

Thanks in advance folks.

some guys have mounted the box on the inner fender and mounted just the coil pack on the bracket, it requires an additional harness but than all the switches are easier to access.

I just installed a TR6 on a car with a 2" spacer and Accufab plenum and modified the stock bracket by welding 2 tabs to extend the mounting holes 3/4".

It will fit just fine with that simple mod. :)

This is what I had to do on my car

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1399599491528.jpg
    1399599491528.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 258
Wow. I thought it was 100% bolt on.

It is 100% bolt-on and stock turbo car, but an Accufab plenum is larger than a stock one and even stock ones have little or no clearance.

Even if it was not a "bolt-on" it is more than worth the $$$ as this specific Regal made 600 RWHP Regal on the dyno but would miss and break-up over 12 psi on the street.

We tried several stock original coil pack/modules and 3 different new brands over many months to solve this issue, and the TR6 instantly cured the problem!

I immediately ordered 2 more TR6 units for other local cars with this issue. :)

The original coils and modules were great in their day, but almost 30 years later they are failing to do the job on modified turbo cars.

On top of that, the new modules are NOT built like the originals because many of the components are no longer produced, and substitute part are used. I did not dream this comment nor am I smart enough in electronics to know, but John Spina of Casper's clued me in to this info when I was trying to figure it out.

Everyone with a turbo Buick should be grateful for people/vendors like John and Bob Bailey who give us products to keep our cars going with the newer technology! :D

I have a HYE Tech plenum and had to modify the bracket to push the TR6 more rearward as it would not sit flush on the plenum.

Bob probably didn't have every single brand of plenum to test fit.

SIngle best product I have installed on my engine!!!!!!!!!

Mine was tight fit but my adapters worked great

Attachments

• 1399600924774.jpg
    1399600924774.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 231
Mine was tight fit but my adapters worked great

You should use spacers between your wires so they don't give off interference with each other. That is a tip my engine builder gave me years ago. I also have a TR6. My car used to break up over 17 psi. Not anymore!

I just installed a TR6 on a car with a 2" spacer and Accufab plenum and modified the stock bracket by welding 2 tabs to extend the mounting holes 3/4".

It will fit just fine with that simple mod. :)

Thanks for the suggestion Nick. I may have found a way by slightly raising the bracket with some screws, I'll know tomorrow if that works. If not, going to weld on the tabs.

Anyone have pictures or can provide details on mounting ignition box on driver's side fender well?

Last edited:
I just use longer studs and space the bracket up when there is a spacer under the plenum. I have also slotted the bolt holes in the bracket to move it back a little. Like Nick says this is a must have item in my opinion it fixed my car instantly

Soooo excited to get mine:) Probably gonna need another for my other TR in the fall..............