TPS Replacement

my85grandnation

85 Triple Threat
I was just checking to see if anyone had ever tried the 86-87 TPS unit on the 84-85 cars? Reason being is they look identical but the parts stores want $209 for the 84-85 sensor and only like $40 for the 86-87 sensor. I figure as long as you can get your idle and wot readings correct you could use the 86-87 sensor but was just wanting to confirm before I went that route.

On a closer look, it appears they are sprung in opposite dircections so it looks like that wont work. I found the directions for setting the TPS on gnttype.org but it appears they are for the 86/87 models. Are they still the same volt readings for the 84/85? if not does anyone have those? Thanks
Dusty

Ok so .40 at idle is what the 86-87's call for as well so is it safe to assume that at wot it would be the same as them at between 4.5 and 4.8? If not please let me know. Im hoping my sensor just needs adjustment and not replacing, but if I get the idle set right Im only seeing high 3's on wot so Im affraid it may be reading wrong and needing replaced. I think I also need to try a reset on my IAC cuase every once and a while the car will idle high. If it doesnt straighten out I guess Ill start fresh and replace both sensors.

First OFF!!!! Why are you assuming? Key on, engine off...... Verify your TPS off throttle and then push your gas pedal all the way to the floor. Now verify both readings. There is no need to reset IAC unless it is out of the 15-30 volt spec. Now keep in mind that when you adjust the TPS or IAC, then you need to adjust them the other. If your idle continues to go crazy after you get things set, then 90% of the time you have a vacuum leak. What are your O2?

Google "Vortex Buicks".... I suggest you do a little studying on these cars. I have been around then since 1990 and are still learning!! Daily!

I currently do not have a scan tool to verify my O2. SES light came on the other day twice and the code was low TPS voltage. Checked it and with key on engine off idle was only .36. I was just gonna try and reset the IAC cause I heard it was a good idea to set it if you change your TPS. Also idle is not too crazy just some times when it's gotten up to operating temp it will idle high then other times its fine. I have not checked for a vacuum leak yet, was just starting with the sensor cause that's the code that was thrown. Also sometimes if I start the car the idle will fluctuate up and down and had heard the most likely cause of that is a bad or improperly set IAC. Once I gett the TPS and IAC set if it still is not acting quite right I will move onto the vacuum leak check and then possibly look into buying a scanner if it still idles a little off.