TPS Help Needed (It stays at .42 even when floored)...

Cool87GN

:confused: I adjusted my TPS to .42 from my ScanMaster & when I remove the floor mat and floor the car with the key in the start position (not running), the TPS does NOT move on the ScanMaster. It just stays at .42 (should it be set at .40)? Here are my other reading on the ScanMaster in Park at idle:

AF - 15
L8 - 9
BAT - 13.6
INT - 128
BL - 128
CLT - 103
ATS - 79
RPM - 1075
TPS - .42
IAC - 110
MAL - 32

Thank you!

TPS Roll Pin Broke Off...

I see that I no longer have a roll pin for my TPS. Would that cause all of my issues? Where can i get this part locally? Do you just push it back in? Thank you,

try NAPA, or like Advanced Auto, you may have to buy a roll pin "kit". If thats the case, a new TPS may be cheaper

Check to see if your up pipe hose or clamp is very close to the roll pin when mashing the throttle. That may have caused it to break off.

ws6formula50 said:
If thats the case, a new TPS may be cheaper

The roll pin is connected to the throttle shaft, not the TPS sensor. The metal tab on the TPS sensor itself is what is moved by the throttle shaft causing the voltage change.

Cool87GN,

Looks like you have a EGR problem too (MAL code 32 on Scanmaster). Also, your idle is high (assuming the readings were taken after the car was warmed up). Fix the roll pin and reset your IAC sensor.

IAC Reset...

What is the easiest way to reset the IAC. I know there are a few different methods. Thank you,

New Scan Master Reading After Replacing the Roll Pin...

I replaced the roll pin and adjusted the TPS to .40 with the key in the start position (not running). I moved the carpet and put the gas pedal to the floor and saw 4.32 on the Scan Master (TPS). How can I get it raised to 4.6 or is it not that important? Here are my numbers after I adjusted the TPS with the car warmed up:

AF - 6
L8 - 38
BAT - 13.7
INT - 120 (it fluctuates between 118-123)
BL - 116
CLT - 170
ATS - 78
RPM - 800-850
TPS - .42
IAC - 70
MAL - 32

What do I need to do? Thank you,

Loosen the screws and pull the sensor toward the front of the car, while rotating it till you get the right voltage. This will increase the range. But honestly, 4.3 volts is plenty to tell the computer to give WOT fueling.

Thank you Vader!

Well, I got my IAC count down from 74 to 19 at idle in park in closed loop. Here are my Scan Master numbers at idle in park in closed loop:

AF - 5
L8 - 34
BAT - 13.6
INT - 128
BL - 150
CLT - 173
ATS - 80
RPM - 850
TPS - .40
IAC - 19
MAL - 32

What could the Malfunction issue be? Do I have severe vacuum leaks (BLM's at 150)? Any other issues with my numbers? Thank you,

Yeah 150 is pretty much pegged at the limit of what the computer can compensate for. Whats your idle fuel pressure with the vacuum line pulled off the regulator? get a long 1/2" fuel line and use it as a stethoscope and listen at the bottom of every fuel injector. Listen for a sucking sound. Could be cracked injector o-rings. Also replace your PCV valve and check your EGR valve and EGR solenoid. I posted in another thread this week about all the things to check for and how to test them. Do a search with my handle in the user search box. With the engine off, pull the hose off teh EGR valve. Reach underneath and pull up on the EGR diaphragm. Plug the vacuum barb on the EGR valve with your finger and let go of the diaphragm. If the diaphragm creeps back down, you have a pinhole or a crack in it. Replace it. With the engine running, pull the vacuum line off the EGR valve and feel to see if it's sucking. It shouldnt be sucking. If it is, pull the filter cap off the EGR solenoid, pop the filter out and check to see if its clogged. Replace it. If you still have vacuum sucking through the hose, the solenoid is stuck. Replace it. When you pull off the EGR valve, look to see if the ports in the valve itself, and the ports in the intake manifold for the EGR are clogged with carbon. Get a drill bit and clean the ports out by hand while holding a vacuum cleaner to it. Replace all the hoses you can and use hose clamps wherever possible. Post your mods. Any time you check your BLM's, you need to wait till the motor is completely warmed up, and the computer has dropped into closed loop (meaning its a closed system and all the sensors are being read and used to adjust the tune.) Open loop means the computer is running the engine based on some pre defined parameters and the sensors arent being used. The scanmaster will show what mode you're in by the blinking light on the right. When it stops blinking, you're in closed loop. Even if the engine is warmed up, if you shut the engine off and re-start, it will be in open loop for a few minutes, and reading the BLM's will be pointless. After doing all this, disconnect the orange power wire to the computer (theres a connector over by the battery) for half an hour to clear all the crappy extreme adjustments the computer has made to compensate for all the problems. Tuning will be a pain if you dont clear these parameters.

Test Ride...

The car ran like crap and had no pickup. It finally blew one of the intercooler hoses off and I had to put it back on. The fuel pressure is set at 40 psi with the hose off per the chip directions. My MAF has NO screens. That could be causing some of my problems. The chip was designed to have both screens. I will check out the vacuum areas that Vader pointed out and I hope to get this cleared up this week. Thank you for all the help!

Get a new chip (TurboTweak deletes the EGR function) and a new MAF sensor/MAF + Translator upgrade. Yeah, your going to see problems with BLMs and running lean if your chip specifically asks for screens in the MAF and you don't have any.

Check for vacuum leaks. Block learn at 150 means vacuum leaks or wrong chip for type of injector.