Tow hook

Pronto

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see.
I remember some time ago there was a post showing a tow hook that was low enough to clear the front air dams. I did a search but can't find the thread. Anyone remember that item?

Dennis Kirban sells them. It's actually a bracket that mounts to the frame which sits just behind the air dam. When you need to tow, there is a ring that hooks into it.

Ya, thats it. I looked through the site and couldn't find it.

Hi

I remember some time ago there was a post showing a tow hook that was low enough to clear the front air dams. I did a search but can't find the thread. Anyone remember that item?

I own a towing company. We are the official towing company for GN Northwest. I find that these cars should be loaded on a flatbed backwards. just have your operator use his mini j-hooks in the rear frame rails to bring it up on the truck. Then have him use his tie downs which wrap around the tire to secure the vehicle.

He dosen't have to get anywhere near the air dam's and the car is secure on the truck. It's the only way to go... Hope this helps ya out.

Mike

It's just a simple open bed car hauler. I was thinking of T hooks going to the frame slots with staps. The trailer has keyhole slots front and rear of the trailer so the ratchet could have a chain going into the slots like a flatbed. I'm just looking at the simplest way to secure the car without doing all kinds of gymnastics with straps over the axles and such. A tow truck operator told me that is how he secures cars on the ramp truck. He would also put tension on the winch too. No winch yet for me, but that would be nice. I'll mount it on a reciever so it can taken off and kept safe.

You don't need to make it a big deal, and can still have the car totally secure!! I've put this out on several threads here over the years. It takes four straps (They're not that expensive). It's a criss-cross pattern.

You hook the straps to the "jack holes", there are four, one in front of each rear wheel, and one behind each front wheel, all in the frame corners. It's totally easy and can be done just bending over or kneeling next to the car. Just give each hook a toss up under the car to a point near theh hook point and then just pick it up and stick it in the large hole.

Then cross the straps to the opposite corner of the trailer and secure to the trailer's secure point.

It will be virtually impossible for the car to move fore-aft or side-side in an emergency meneuver or accident.

I've never understood the need for all the hard work of axle straps, etc. puts a lot of strain on the axle mount points too.

I strap down the GN just as Dave does. Doesn't allow the car/suspension to bounce while trailering. Also leave in nuetral w/ parking brake applied. As for the toe hook,...cal Kirbans. The hook works great for winching into/onto your trailer if you break. hth, Brian

Yes, that is the way I intended to tie it down. I've seen an item called a "bridle" that has a T/J hook at each end and a place in the middle to pull for winching, not that anyone every breaks.:rolleyes:

You don't need to make it a big deal, and can still have the car totally secure!! I've put this out on several threads here over the years. It takes four straps (They're not that expensive). It's a criss-cross pattern.

You hook the straps to the "jack holes", there are four, one in front of each rear wheel, and one behind each front wheel, all in the frame corners. It's totally easy and can be done just bending over or kneeling next to the car. Just give each hook a toss up under the car to a point near theh hook point and then just pick it up and stick it in the large hole.

Then cross the straps to the opposite corner of the trailer and secure to the trailer's secure point.

It will be virtually impossible for the car to move fore-aft or side-side in an emergency meneuver or accident.

I've never understood the need for all the hard work of axle straps, etc. puts a lot of strain on the axle mount points too.

exactly how i do it. the car is very secure this way

I always run the rear straps up to the holes in the frame in front of the lower control arm mount point and x them.

On the front I always go to the cross member and hook in the spot where the front lower control arms bolt and x them as well, this way they are close to nothing and can't get cut...I know this works on front mount cars and stock intercooler cars, but stretch intercoolers may cause a problem...Never been around one to know.

Riding down the interstate running about 75 on the way to the Norwalk event I had my car strapped this way and during a HARDCORE evasive maneuver, during which the whole side of the car was visable in the rear view mirror and the car following us stated the the right side trailer tires were off the ground, and nothing moved...At all...We stopped and checked all the straps and they didn't loosen, car didn't move, nothing, it was like it never happened.

P.S. I have "heard" that if you use the front jack holes and x them going forward it is possible that the front lower control arms may cut the strap on rough roads...Never seen it, just what I was told.

I just went 1000K on my U-Haul & they have No Back straps just the front wheel straps over the front tires to keep it tight against the front gate or pad (whatever its called) & it was straight when we arrived both times. just a chain front & back for safety but its loose.

What about using the slots in the front part of the frame ahead of the a arms? There is a slot on the side of frame there?

Tow straps

So what I am reading, do not use axle straps, simply use existing holes in the frame and crisscross, both at front and rear, looking for any point of possible abrasion, correct?
I am having a new trailer built and will tow my GN from the Washington DC area to the Huntsville AL area in June, just want everything to arrive safely!

So what I am reading, do not use axle straps, simply use existing holes in the frame and crisscross, both at front and rear, looking for any point of possible abrasion, correct?
I am having a new trailer built and will tow my GN from the Washington DC area to the Huntsville AL area in June, just want everything to arrive safely!

Sounds like you have the right idea.