i read the thread on gnttype.org and these guys swear by it
anyone?
OJP
also i searched and saw zylene,xelene,and toulene
which one?

Oh, by the way I have the correct way to say both of the chemicals:

Toluene - TOL-YOON
Xylene - ZI-LEEN

P.S. Price around on this stuff, my local idustrial supply store beat the local paint shop by 25%!!

BB

Experience!

I have heard things of Toluene and have heard its a very good octane booster, and runs very smooth in the engine.

I think you can buy it at Hardware stores!

Toluene - TOL-YOON

Umm actually it's pronounced TALL-YOU-EEN or TOLL-YOU-EEN :)

Toluene is 115 octane & Xylene is 117 octane, either works well when used for making "homebrew" octane booster. Try doing a search on this forum for "Xylene" and "Home Brew Race Gas" This topic has come up several times & some good info has been given out.

Here is the basic mix: 1 gallon xylene or toluene + 3 gallons 93 octane (or as high as you can get) pump gas which comes out to a 99 octane final mix when using xylene & a 98.5 octane mix when using toluene. I always mix up a 12 gallon batch (3gallons booster & 9 gallons pump gas) Also be sure to add ~2oz of a top cylinder lube such as Marvel Mystery Oil to replace the gasoline's lubricant package which gets diluted by the xylene/toluene.

Doug C.

Good Advice

Thanks for the mixing advice Doug.

I think i'm gonna try it.

How much is Toluene? I've heard its quite a bit per gallon.

Do you know?

Thanks

Doug,
I've got it !!!!!! It depends on what state you live in, you're in TX and I'm in Florida. See I'm not so dumb. - BB:p

Xylene is good stuff. About $35 for 5 gal. at the local Sherwin Williams. I pour in 5 gal., 2oz. marvel mystery oil and top off the tank with 93 octane. It doesn,t like cold starts but other than that it causes no driveability problems. With straight 93, I get 1-3 degrees knock retard at 12 PSI. With the mix, no knock retard at 19PSI.
Pronunciation
Xylene= Zi leen
Toluine=Tol you een.
May be other pronunciations but I have worked in labs for 40 years and this was always how I heard it pronunced.
But then, I'm just an ol country boy. my.02:)

nasty stuff

By the way, don't get either on you or your paint, both are very concentrated solvents and don't do nice things to living things just read the MSDS for more info.

Mark
87GN

both are very concentrated solvents and don't do nice things to living things just read the MSDS for more info

Just use a little common sense ( don't drink it, huff it, or take a bath in the stuff ;) ) & there will be no problem. Heck, try looking at a MSDS for Gasoline, the hazards & health warnings are virtually identical to Xylene and Toluene.

Doug C.

Oh BTW, BB everyone that I've met from Florida talks/sounds just like a Texan. Both states are full of redneck good ol' boys, so that kinda ruins your state based pronunciation theory. ;)

Re: Good Advice

Originally posted by Big Paul
I think i'm gonna try it.

Paul, the Toluene/Xylene is for upping the octane and supressing detonation. It in itself does not produce more power.

I don't see any advanatge to running Xylene on a NA motor unless you advance the timing dramatically. If it's not knocking, you don't need higher octane. Run 93 premium fuel before trying Tolune/Xylene.

if that stuff is 35 bucks for 5 gals and you add it then top off the tank, thats a $50 tank of gas.....

100 octane here is only 3.49 a gallon.....isn't it kindof a wash?

OK, OK, I give up !!

Esteemed Masters of Grammar-
Please forgive me for reading the online encyclopedia and believing what I read about the pronunciation of the word Toluene. From this point on I will call it by the name TOL-U-ENE and none other, I humbly beg forgiveness, now can I please post again in good graces? - :(