torsion bar removal

Sinister86

im running into somewhat of a dillemma when trying to get a 4 inch port throught the rear deck with those damn bars in the way. if anyone who has removed these bars can tell me what to do to make room for my box, id be very appreciative. thanks,
Taylor

Open the trunk and support it with a steel bar or have someone help you hold it (its very heavy after torsion bar removal :eek: ) I use a 1.5 ' pry bar or a crowbar and place it between the torsion bar and metal rear deck (where the 3 adjustment slots are for tension) and pop the torsion bar out on both sides and remove. The trunk lid is now unsupported and care must be taken to keep it from from "falling down closed".

I built a gas shock system to support my trunk lid to replace the original torsion bar system and works very well. If you have access to 1/8" steel stock, high pressure gas shocks, mig-welder and a cutting torch. You can also build something similar.

Audiowizard,

I pulled a dual shock systems from an 85 Monte Carlo from the junkyard that was cool. It appears to be factory. I am not sure. The car had a V6, bucket seats, shifter on column, no A/C (I got the box and controls too) Radio delete plate, pretty weird combo. But when I saw the trunk shock system it was perfect for removing the torsion bar setup. It has brackets that clamp to the trunk hinges and then the shocks bolt there down to the wheel tub.

Originally posted by TinysTurboPerf
Audiowizard,

I pulled a dual shock systems from an 85 Monte Carlo from the junkyard that was cool. It appears to be factory. I am not sure. The car had a V6, bucket seats, shifter on column, no A/C (I got the box and controls too) Radio delete plate, pretty weird combo. But when I saw the trunk shock system it was perfect for removing the torsion bar setup. It has brackets that clamp to the trunk hinges and then the shocks bolt there down to the wheel tub.

Yep!! its a factory system and that would be the easiest way to convert over from torsion bars. I bet you can have that set-up sold quickly for the people that need that on this board. It sure beats doing it the hard way like I did :D . Good find Tiny! :)

E-mail Rich George aka "B4Black" I believe he has a pic of the shock system installed.