Torquing the hard to reach head bolt...

jbeier

it seems to me that all the head bolts are super easy to get to, save for one. Head gasket jobs on these cars could be an afternoon job (if you didn't have to get the heads milled or block decked) if it wasn't for one stinking bolt. I must have spent an hour and a half on the passenger side head, because it was impossible to get the torque wrench on the bolt hiding in the back, way too close to the HVAC box. I finally got it done, and I hope it's accurate, but the gymnastics required to get a tool in there is boggling. How do you all do it?

I haven't done this (on the car) but I wonder if you can undo the pass side motor mount and jack that side of the motor up?

I think I'll do that. I have the oil pan off as well, and it would be tons easier to put that back on as well.

My brother has done head gaskets on the car a million times and I asked him while I was doing intake and valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago and that what he told me he did.

It's such a good and simple idea, I feel like an ass for not thinking of it myself. Thanks!

There's always a chance it may not get the bolt into position but it sounds logical and he did blurt that out pretty quick. Good luck make sure to report back with results.