torque convertor too loose?

rtviper

How do you tell if the convertor is too loose? I noticed my datalog indicates I crossed the finish line at 6100 rpm in 3rd gear with a t-400. My mph was only 128 mph. The datalog show a shift at 6500 rpm from 1st to 2nd with a drop of 600 rpm. I cant tell the next shift cause the most I see is a drop in rpm of 200rpm. On 1 run I let off cause the shift light never blinks off after the 1st shift at 6k. I stll run a 10.8 at 115 mph. The convertor is a 4500 stall. The rpms never drop below 5950 rpm after my 1st to 2nd shift untill the end of the run. I have 3.42 rear ratio and 28 inch tires

my car with the "N" stall Art Carr shows 6100 at 128 also (however, my et's are 10.4-10.5 at that speed).......if your launches are at least low 1.4x or better, converter is fine.....your shift points could also be raised to 6500-7000 no problem

Thanks AZ. I 60 ft at a best of 1.5 but thats only using 4lbs at launch.I have only made about 5 runs so far.I looked at my datalog again and on the 10.4 run I went to 6500rpm and the shift came down to 5900. That drop was 2.6 seconds into the run. During the next 7.8 sec. the only drop in rpm I see is 250 rpm at 4.7 sec into the run and the rpm never goes over 6250 rpm the rest of the 1/4. Mph went from 103 to 128 from 1/8 to 1/4. The only time the shift light went out was on the 1st to 2nd shift

AZ I have thought about what you said. Shifting at higher rpm might give me a bigger drop at the shift. Also would turning up the boost to get more power have the effect of tighting up the convertor or would it make it looser?? I would like to turn it up to about 24lbs but only if the convertor seems to be working correct Thanks

turn it up!

shift it at 6500 min......think you'll like it!

(launch it harder too....I typically leave at 15 lbs.......)

Adding more boost will only add rpm to the stall. Sounds like the converter is pretty in-efficient at the topend. Do a tire size and rpm calculation at top end and see the % slip.

Norbs that is what got me started on this issue. Besides the fact my car is at 5950 to 6200 rpm from the time I shift into 2nd gear till the end of the 1/4. I did the calculations and if I did it right they say I should be doing 148.64 mph at 6000 rpm in high gear 1 to 1. The formula is:

Overall Tire Diameter X Achieved Engine RPM (redline)
----------------------------------------------------= mph
differential ratio X top gear ratio X 336

I am at 128 mph? Is that too much loss? Now if I add more boost thus more power will the loss increase?