Torque converter drain

bryesh

Has anyone installed a train for a stock torque converter? I'm thinking about drilling and tapping a d5 so that I can drain all the old fluid out.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've heard of this being done before......however, I'd be concerned about it throwing the TC out of balance.

I drilled an drained mine.then just weld the hole. Well tranny shop did it.

I was thinking about tapping it for 1/8 npt.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

In all seriousness some converters I've been looking at have been sitting for years and who know what the fluid was like back then, nonetheless a decade or more later . If I'm going to get a rebuilt transmission or rebuild one, I just like to be able to change every ounce of fluid and flush whatever debris is in the converter out, that's all.

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

if its not in the car just put it on a coffee can and drain it. If you are worried about it, slowly add a bunch of fresh fluid and then drain it again. Or if you have any reason to doubt the converter, just buy a new one.

My DD is running a D5 that I got with a BR core almost 10 years ago. Drained it and ran it.

If your worried about contamination, it needs to be cut open and cleaned.

If you just want to get the old fluid out. Drain it into a coffee can or something as described and refill with clean fluid.

It is possible to flush them by drilling and tapping for a 1/8", then pumping fluid through them. When complete you screw a pipe plug into the hole, then weld it. If it were mine and I was worried about some sort of contamination, I'd open it for cleaning.