Top speed highway run

GM should have put a 150mph speedo, but sometimes it's better not to see how fast we're going on that MAX Turbo Boost Pass. :cool:

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I'm wondering how everyone knows exactly how fast they're going past 85mph?

For me it was mathematical: RPM (6500ish), tire size (28"), rear end gear (4.56), transmission drive ratio (.67): 130+mph in my SS.

I honestly had no problems controlling the car.

I am waiting for a chance to open the Buick up at those speeds and higher... it has the modified suspension. ;)

outside of vegas, its a lot of open highway. i put my SS down to 155 but in the GN, im going to replace that 85 mph speedo to actually see how fast im flying. :D

I recall racing an TSi AWD on I-89 in Vermont - that was waaayyy back when I still had the stock chip in there. I knew I hit 125 mph because the engine cut out! :cool:

Other wise, I've had it up around 125-130 in current form. I have stock springs with Bilsteins. Front end feels pretty light there.

Its one thing going 130 mph in a straight line in the Buick when its calm all around you, but its another thing if something happens in front of you and you need to perform a lane change or brake hard. :eek: I would rather *not* be in the Buick in that case.

Originally posted by Mr. T

I am waiting for a chance to open the Buick up at those speeds and higher... it has the modified suspension. ;)
The suspension will not matter as much as making or buying a aftermarket bottom air dam or spoiler.I had a 1987 that would get kinda light at about 135 made an aluminum frount bottom spoiler and after that ran it up to about 160 with no float.Also don't open the windows at above 110 or they will not go back in the upper track until you slow back down. :)

How fast???

I had my GN to 5300 in overdrive at 19 lbs of boost, It has 275 50 15's on the rear and 165/85/15's on the front. I was racing a camero with a small block 426 ci. He said he had stock gears and that his speedo was pegged at 130 behind me and I was pulling away. At about 120 the window popped out at the top on the drivers side and scared me to death. I thought it was going to break. At about 130+ the car started bobbing up and down in the front. I stayed in it and didnt let off until I was running 5300 RPM's in overdrive for about 2 miles. It would not pull no more. How fast was I going??? anyone have a Idea or a way to find out? It has the stock 3.54 gears.

well unless the torque converter was locked up it's hard to figure how much the converter was slipping.
With the stock 3.42 rear end and stock 26 inch tall tire even 4800 rpm is about 150!
hmmm did i figure that right?

I have personally piloted a c5 to 167(heads up display) It was so smooth, but i have heard of some of the supra guys around here going 190+.

convertor was locked and tach was on 5300, car stop pulling. Ran that way for 2 miles. wonder how fast?

5300 rpm should be around 140-145 mph if you felt the front end starting to lift and being loose. That's what mine does at that Speed . ;)

When I had my 98 Z28 6 speed car, modded, I had it to an indicated 160 on the speedo, against the peg, tach still climbing in 5th gear....lost speed when I put it into 6th, I'd guess it was around 165 mph or so...

Had my 99GSXR to 175 indicated several times before I geared it down, won't do more than 160 now but it gets there in about 30 seconds!!

Dunno about the Buick yet...gonna try the Propain and Scanmaster and see what I get get to heheh

ok well if u wanna here somthin funny i went on a road trip in my 85 Limited when i had it and i had the pedal 3/4...it was no diff from WOT b/c it woulndt climb over 3200RPM. prob bout 90-95 now my monte SS ive had i think up to 125-130. that was 5500 redline for a few seconds, the climb from 4800-5500 took some time but there was a noticeable diff in speed. yea i have a TH400 3.73 rear and 265-70-R15's. i wanted to go faster, it was jus crusin and was a pretty sturdy ride. wind was rippin over the T-Tops. i thought i might loose one

the stock cut out

Originally posted by buickfreak
....guys, do you realize what 110 mph is?? I mean I'm almost cruising at that speed. :rolleyes: If you are scared in your GN at 110 something is wrong!! ;)
i agree totally with this guy!!

come on guys the stock cut out is what ?? 120 somethin...........i used to hit that everytime i took my car out just gettin on the eway.....if there was just average or lighter traffic.....................after a 44 turbo-50lb inj +all the normal go-fast goodies and ive had this car since 88 or 89 and now has 87000 original miles and only new valve springs and timin chain in engine;;.. i must be gettin there alittle faster and going alittle faster,,,,right.....my friend who i go out a draft with and against,,,he has a slightly modified 98 vette ,,,..i know its childish,,,,,but what can i say i love eway racin and always have im 38 now and been doin this **** since i was 16 and had a 70 monte carlo with a top speed of 120 which i would hit routinely........................now according to my friends vette ---his speed-O......goes to 180+..///we have routinely cruised up and down the eways around here TOLEDO OHIO between 130 and 160 with no real problems in the handlin of my 86 t-type stock suspension with airbags.........accordin to his cars speed-o the fastest ive ever gone is just over 165 at around 5500rpms ....hahaha i think only backed out cause i was afraid the car might blow a heead gasket or somethin sorry for the long post but hadto vent

"come on guys the stock cut out is what ?? 120 somethin...........i used to hit that everytime i took my car out just gettin on the eway"

Dont you relize that is controlled by a stock chip?? Guess you know nothign of about a modified tr. most aftermarket chips either have a 160mph limiter or you can have it set to whatever you want.. even a stock 87 tr is capable of 140-150mph with a chip.

I personally have been fast many times in my 2000 ws6, the 155mph speedo pegs fast and it continues to pull. car feels rock solid at that speed.. My grand national also feels pretty good in the 130-150 range. the front end does however lift and bounce just a tad. but when your going that fast you really dont feel the road..

Hmn

I had the TTA up to 125 for like 2 min while running with a M3 we took it up slow but I could tell he was pinning the throttle and I was staying with him at about 5 psi and 1/2 throttle. He would have eventually walked away from me but I let out got scared and the Tranny was making the loud grounning noise.

87 gn

i dunno if you are missing the point of my post or just did not read it....................of course i know the stock chip has the cut out , which i said is very easily attainable..............and ofcourse if i now have 50lb injectors i do have different chips for the car that go with the injectors sooo i guess i do know alittle about modified turbo regals or how would i be crusing upwards of 150 mph.....................anyways i think we both agree that these cars are decent handleing at high 130+ speeds..............unlike some of the others posting here............