Top speed highway run

buickfreak

AT a car meeting , I race once a MUSTANG GT 1989 fully modify claiming running 270 klmh=169mph with a 3.73 gear. I told the guy that no way he could go that fast with it . He was laughing at my little WHITE TURBO T ( stock turbo , intercooler , 30 pounds INJECTORS , 3 inchs down pipe , no CAT, dual exhaust 2 1/2 , k/n , over size inlet, PIT BULL chip, F pump and home brew 100 OCTANE MIX .

It was midnight and no traffic around. We lined up on the highway and we gave it a go , I let him go ahead till 150=90 mph then I floor it and FLEW by him , he floor it to and tryed to pass. By then everything was flying by and every time he would try a pass I would BOOSTED it up and get around 5-6 cars on him . The RPM went in the RED zone , I would say 5200-5300 and the BOOST IN THE MAX 18 pounds top gear. At that speed , around 145 mph the front end was starting to lift up . He quit to an EXIT and did'nt see him for a month after .

When I met him again at a car show he was all embarrass and told me he had talked to much. He was amazed at the little BUICK and wasn't laughing no more . For me , I had so much fun putting the pedal to the metal , he had made my night .

What highway in Montreal is smooth enough to go that fast, none I've been on!

I know a guy who claimed to have gone 150 mph in a Barracuda back in the 70's outside St. Bruno. The front end lifted so much that to go left the driver had to turn right and vice versa. Or so he told me.

HIGWAY 440 from CURE-LABELLE blvd to TERBONNE city ,you have a strech 15 miles long , that's where you can floor your car and hope you don't get nail by the HIGWAY PATROL , AFTER midnight when they're having a snooze in the car the only thing they might see is a LIGHTNING flying by and if they decide to move on , by the time they get ready to roll you'l be miles away at that speed , in the early 70s like you said I use to have a DODGE 383 - 4 barrels and to clean the plugs I would fill up the gaz tank with SUNOCO 260 you know the good stuff once a week and go on that HIGWAY and floor the car up and down to TERBONNE 135 -140 mph with my wife but in broad daylight ,at that time they didn't have any RADAR and no TRAFFIC , that was real pleasure . AFTER a run like that the car would run smooth for another week. :cool:

I honestly can't imagine going over 120 with a Regal unless the suspension is modded. The float is terrifying and you are brave souls. I had my GN up to 110 (according to radar) and that was scarey. My TTA on the other hand....

When I get the chance this spring I'll see what that'll do on an open stretch of highway. The speedo goes to 140mph and I KNOW it'll be buried. In stock trim they'll run around 165mph with the (stock) pace cars hitting 171 at Indy with a professional driver.

before i got my good scanmaster one of them radar trailers infront of a friends house clocked me doing 146 and i was still pulling. hes got the picture some where if i can get a copy from him ill scan it and post it.

I did it once in the TTA, got just past 140 (about 145) and I let out since I was picturing the headlights flying over the hood at night. Must say it was still pulling like a mutha when I let out. Havent been able to go past 130 lately though due to a nasty cough and readings of 175+ on Direct Scan and the fuel shutting off.

Very, very impressive. Youve got bigger ba!!s than I do:eek: . I hit 150 in my f body, and it handled perfectly, but that speed in my GN, forget it:rolleyes: .

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I had my GN up to 110 (according to radar) and that was scarey.

Oh come on, 110? I hit that at the track every pass. You talk like you are driving a school bus. Admittedly I will never take mine above 125 again, at least in its current form. 130 with the T-tops off wasnt very smart on my part, and I wont be doing that again either. There are hardly any roads around here where it is safe to go over 120 anyways

110 mmp in my GN was a regular occurence. Everytime some Mustang or IROC tried to race me I had to show them what fast was all about. I admit, doing it with the roofs off made it a little more scarey. I sold that car and I got a HT this time. That one is too nice to race. But, I wouldn't be ooposed to that high of a speed.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Oh come on, 110? I hit that at the track every pass. You talk like you are driving a school bus. Admittedly I will never take mine above 125 again, at least in its current form. 130 with the T-tops off wasnt very smart on my part, and I wont be doing that again either. There are hardly any roads around here where it is safe to go over 120 anyways
I'm just telling you like it was. Car had 70,000 miles and was basically in original form and was a hardtop car. It wasn't on a track but a 5 lane road fully outfitted with cracks and small bumps.

I'm not claiming to know how your car feels at 110mph but my old GN wasn't a car built for those speeds.

....guys, do you realize what 110 mph is?? I mean I'm almost cruising at that speed. :rolleyes: If you are scared in your GN at 110 something is wrong!! ;)

i've had my car up to 135 mph after a night at the track on us41...i was only at 10 lbs of boost and 4600 rpm...not even close to full throttle...but i got scared and let off...

raced my friend one time bone stock even with the chip and yes the fuel was cut out at 125 mph...he then passed me in his 97 mustang GT going 140...i was like wtf (this was before i knew about the cutoff)

going that fast in a G-body is plain crazy IMO

its not that bad! anything over 120 feels fast. call me stupid but i hit 145 in mine on a long, smooth straightaway and it felt fairly steady up to about 135 ish. nothing like any f-body though:D my t/a revved out at around 125, but it stuck to the road like glue.

145 once..

Several years back I took mine up to top end racing an Impala SS. This was before I put on Bilstein shocks. The motor felt like it had good power but about 130 you can really feel the air winning the battle under the car. I didn't think the car was going to kill me or anything. To be perfectly honest, I was more worried about other things that can go wrong at that speed.

I had throught about modding my car and bringing it over here to run around top end but decided I would rather keep the car there for when I return.

Only thing I immediately think of is the fact that for those of us with stock location IC we do have a gaping whole under the car to let air come under. Not to mention the grill.. Maybe I'll start doing like NASCAR and putting some tape on the grill. :)

thats not fast!

i cruise on 2 lanes every day going at least 85. usually 110 or so. with all original suspension and 125k on it. but i guess in straight road country here i kinda grew up on it. i was going a bit over 130 a while back when my bro passed me at somewhere in the 160 range or better in his 83 cutlass, so i wouldnt say going fast in a g-body is crazy. hell when we first put his motor in, we went close to 150 with, get this: in primer, fully stripped, im talking no lights, no hood or trunk, and no doors or seatbelts. with original suspension bushings with 220k on them. i must just be crazy. and if anyone on here has ever had a crotch rocket, you probably know as well as i do how easy it is to get into the 160+ area even on a 2 lane.