Top 5 (fastest) Engine Builders?

7.79 @ like 180 mph or something. I thought he had the fastest and Gomes had the quickest but that may have changed I haven't been keeping up.

Met him at our local track a little while back, seems like a really likable guy. Any idea of what his personal best is? Meaning fastest build to date.

If we get enough info we can put together a list and tweak it with things like weight and date achieved.

Just thought of a problem with the thread. With these motors sometimes going to another shop for one reason or another, how do we determine who's creation it really is vs a rebuild?

There is a big difference between building and engine and specing the parts of the combo to make the power. .001 is .001 and round is round. Any good machinist should be able to produce a strong foundation. What parts are used in it is where the power is.

Would be like me coloring in the eyes of the Mona Lisa.....probably could do it but it doesn't make it my creation.

There are plenty of bad combos out there. My engine has no secret parts, nothing special ordered other than pistons. I hand picked the parts that work, and i didnt rely on a name to sell me the parts.

Didnt Fiscus just win in Bowling Green if im not mistaken.

He sure did.
Given, Cruz was ready to rumble as well and Tony was not there. In the current Turbo Buick world, their cars are in the top 5.
Dave went on to win a no prep race the following weekend and ran his best 1/8th pass to date.

What everyone has said is 100% correct. This market is very small and no where near what other markets can bring for a talented and proven engine builder with v6 turbo knowledge and a decent shop. The Buick crowd has always been a severely demanding bunch of racers, that have literally forced some very talented builders to never touch one of these engines again. And it's a shame. But it's the nature of the beast with today's gotta have it yesterday mentality. The old saying is very true with Buicks, whether v8's or turbo v6's and that is, "You can't rush perfection." The other I've learned over the years is, "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?" And that's very true in this v6 turbo game that we play.

Those who have been in the game since the beginning, have been perfecting their combos and spending way more than any sensible person could imagine. It's down right ludicrous when you start adding up the receipts. But in the end, it's the constant development of new technology and the desire to keep these cars looking sharp and kicking ass that drives us all. Some chase a number, some chase the competition and some of us, learned their lesson a while ago and just do it for fun. Sure, you can go just as fast, if not a whole lot faster with the newer generation cookie cutter stuff, but IMO, it's not as fun, nor original to be like everyone else. It's my firm belief, that if it weren't for the Turbo Buicks, none of them would be where they are today. Our mid 80's designed Buick technology, literally drove the industry to keep up and progress to where it is today.

From this:

news_photo-medium_image-2131.jpg

To this:

IMG_20181027_083714406.jpg

35629134_1837117602993468_6980881371510079488_o.jpg

IMG_20181027_100853973.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

0503htp_tr_02_z.jpg

We've come a long ways. And as we welcome in the newest 1st time owners, we'll see more and more of these types of posts. So to all the new guys, don't be surprised if you get some rough replies or comments. And if there's one thing that I could say to them, that this board taught me a long time ago, it would be this.

"Plan your work. Work you plan."

Meaning, do your homework. Research. Research. Research. Read old posts. Find old news letters like "The Source" and "Grand News". Ask a million questions. Use the search feature until you break your mouse and keyboard. Take your time. Don't get discouraged when issues arise, have patience. More patience than that. A lot more. Say a prayer to the Turbo Buick Gods and the Good Lord for patience, strength and perseverance. Talk to the car like it's your friend. If you show the car respect, it will reward you. Remember, shhhtuff happens, parts fail. Races are lost and there will always be someone quicker or faster. Accept that and move on. Make a to do list. Then stick to that list. One thing at a time. But above all, do the homework first before jumping in blindly and throwing money at it. That's the sure fire quickest way to get burned, burned out with the project and/or wind up ruining one of these Legendary Modern Musclecars.

Maybe it's time to bring back Motivational picture threads? Hmmmm....
Ok, enough for now. Carry and thanks for reading.

-Patrick-

Last edited:
And if there's one thing that I could say to them, that this board taught me a long time ago, it would be this.

"Plan your work. Work you plan."

Meaning, do your homework. Research. Research. Research. Read old posts. Find old news letters like "The Source" and "Grand News". Ask a million questions. Use the search feature until you break your mouse and keyboard. Take your time. Don't get discouraged when issues arise, have patience. More patience than that. A lot more. Say a prayer to the Turbo Buick Gods and the Good Lord for patience, strength and perseverance. Talk to the car like it's your friend. If you show the car respect, it will reward you. Remember, shhhtuff happens, parts fail. Races are lost and there will always be someone quicker or faster. Accept that and move on. Make a to do list. Then stick to that list. One thing at a time. But above all, do the homework first before jumping in blindly and throwing money at it. That's the sure fire quickest way to get burned, burned out with the project and/or wind up ruining one of these Legendary Modern Musclecars.

Maybe it's time to bring back Motivational picture threads? Hmmmm....
Ok, enough for now. Carry and thanks for reading.

-Patrick-

Hell of a post right there, good job.

Last edited:
ust thought of a problem with the thread. With these motors sometimes going to another shop for one reason or another, how do we determine who's creation it really is vs a rebuild?
thats why i didnt recommend further.

Buy an LS crate engine and your ready to go in 5 days for a hell of a lot less $$.

You can buy the LS but what is weird is that everyone that I know of that had a really fast Buick V6, that switched to a LS motor either never went as fast with the LS as they did with the V6 or doesn't own the car anymore. Think about it for a second.

When the v6 is done right like by the for mentioned in this thread its tough to beat, the way the HP and TQ comes in is incredible, the 60ft the 330' the 8th, ive kicked the shit out of many LS cars, they have to be really set up to beat me like Big turbo'd, super chassis and 200+ more HP just keep up, the best advantage of the LS is the availability, that's it, the price to build a 1000hp LS is about the same...and the way everything works in conjunction on a 800hp v6 Buick set up is second to none..

That's why we are all still here..;)

Check out your options, a 350 Dart-based turbo small block would be half the cost. Compare the new TA gear compared to Dart:
New Dart block w/ 6 fasteners around each hole....2k
New Heads.....endless choices
New crank.....take your pick
front accessories....endless choices
Intake options......endless choices
header options......a bazillion options
+ 2 more cylinders
When you look at prices it starts to make sense, make a spreadsheet and tally it up. With the V6 you have no choices, the prices for simple items are very high. You can also get your engine in about a week.

Mike

Check out your options, a 350 Dart-based turbo small block would be half the cost. Compare the new TA gear compared to Dart:
New Dart block w/ 6 fasteners around each hole....2k
New Heads.....endless choices
New crank.....take your pick
front accessories....endless choices
Intake options......endless choices
header options......a bazillion options
+ 2 more cylinders
When you look at prices it starts to make sense, make a spreadsheet and tally it up. With the V6 you have no choices, the prices for simple items are very high. You can also get your engine in about a week.

Mike
Mike, I disagree. And although I have a million technical and financial reasons why I do, and you and I can argue the logic behind building a V6, or a V8, or a Honda, or even some roundy-round lawnmower, none of it needs to be discussed any further. Because............nothing makes sense. None of this! Not a single thing we do.

It's not about logic. It's about enthusiasts having enthusiasm for something.

Which basically voids any discussions about any other types of engine from this point forward............ forever!

Unless of course, some interchangeable part can be hijacked from one of these utility Isuzu box-truck motors you have mentioned.

I still love ya, man.:)

I know a few buick guys that went LS and believe or not they blew the engine just like the buick V6. There is also a lot of custom work that has to be done for the LS conversion, it is not just drop it in and go.