Top 5 (fastest) Engine Builders?

When you look at any pics or videos of Buddy Ingersoll's rides look at his intakes. I dont think that I have ever seen the same one twice. His brain had to be on over drive trying different ways to cool and shove air into his motors. None of them appeared to be anything common on today's motors. Mike T back in the late 90's I can name 10 cars that were in the 7's and I am sure there were more. At the advice of Lawrence Conley, S.A.M. ( School of Automotive Machinists) built my second one.

When you look at any pics or videos of Buddy Ingersoll's rides look at his intakes. I dont think that I have ever seen the same one twice. His brain had to be on over drive trying different ways to cool and shove air into his motors. None of them appeared to be anything common on today's motors. Mike T back in the late 90's I can name 10 cars that were in the 7's and I am sure there were more. At the advice of Lawrence Conley, S.A.M. ( School of Automotive Machinists) built my second one.
Buddy was the 1st name that came to mind for me. It’s hard to believe what he accomplished, so early.

Each engine builder mentioned is capable of similar results if the customer is willing to spend the money to do what is right. That level of performance in our small community is funnelled down to a select few people that want to own a car of this caliber. I would through Dan at DLS into the mix as well. But there is a lot of variables outside of the engine builder that brings everything together...ie: transmission, converter selection, fuel system, suspension, advanced ignition system, engine management with custom wiring to pilot the ship, and lots and lots of tunning, that the engine builder couldn't reap the accolades over if the whole combination isn't lined up properly. There's a lot of credit to go around in builds like these that requires a team, not just a engine builder.

A friend told me that the engines Ingersoll ran were built by McLaren Engines.

Most of the info I can find would indicate that Dan Strezo built Tweaked.

Robert Fulco is another name that has popped up....not sure which cars he was associated with.

I agree with Mike.
Tuning can make two of the same combos behave like two different builds.
An under powered car that can 60 foot can post a nice ET
Bison said years ago converters are a big deal and they make or break combos.
Russ Merritt taught me a lot and Melissa car proves he knows his stuff.
Gabby Rojas gave me a ton of advice had this community in disbelief with his stock crank, flat tappet cam, accomplishments.
To my knowledge, they all build their own engines.

I have always noticed you can buy a complete TSM engine or the Short block minus cam or cam card.
How many times have you seen only the heads and cam combo for sale?;)

The search feature and countless hours of reading on this board will benefit you more than just passing a check to a big name engine builder.
Lastly be honest and logical when comparing your goals and budget.

I remember some of those crazy intakes back in the day, they looked like mail boxes lol

Each engine builder mentioned is capable of similar results if the customer is willing to spend the money to do what is right. That level of performance in our small community is funnelled down to a select few people that want to own a car of this caliber. I would through Dan at DLS into the mix as well. But there is a lot of variables outside of the engine builder that brings everything together...ie: transmission, converter selection, fuel system, suspension, advanced ignition system, engine management with custom wiring to pilot the ship, and lots and lots of tunning, that the engine builder couldn't reap the accolades over if the whole combination isn't lined up properly. There's a lot of credit to go around in builds like these that requires a team, not just a engine builder.
This!!!!

It only takes two or three years if you let it. People drop off thier stuff and forget it,case in point and i know its not an engine but Dave Husek did my tranny in six days from drop off to pickup. Been working perfectly for three years. It simply doesnt take years to build a decent engine for any car not just one of ours. In reality what it takes is money, and persistence,be firm, not demanding and get a time frame before you begin. Shit does happen,just not years worth.

It only takes two or three years if you let it. People drop off thier stuff and forget it,case in point and i know its not an engine but Dave Husek did my tranny in six days from drop off to pickup. Been working perfectly for three years. It simply doesnt take years to build a decent engine for any car not just one of ours. In reality what it takes is money, and persistence,be firm, not demanding and get a time frame before you begin. Shit does happen,just not years worth.

Perfect! Then the next time I need a motor built by any of the above mentioned builders, I will ask you if you would like you to broker the build for me. I'm sure I will need it done in a month or so. And since I am always prepared to spend what it takes, I'm sure I could set aside an additional 20 percent for you troubles.

Just one thing.....If it runs over schedule, a financial penalty will be charged per day against the full cost of my build.

I bet it wouldn't be long before you end up paying for my engine. :D

This is the way we do things in my line of work. It should be the same in the performance industry..........Without the smiley faces.

Don Cruz has gone like high 9's I hear......:rolleyes: so he might be considered in that mix as well for top engine builders.

I'm curious to know why Billy Anderson of Anderson Performance hasn't been mentioned? I do believe his car was running in the 7's.

I'm curious to know why Billy Anderson of Anderson Performance hasn't been mentioned? I do believe his car was running in the 7's.

When originally posting the thread I thought of him also. Wasn't sure if he did his own machine work and assembly or not.

Don Cruz has gone like high 9's I hear......:rolleyes: so he might be considered in that mix as well for top engine builders.

Met him at our local track a little while back, seems like a really likable guy. Any idea of what his personal best is? Meaning fastest build to date.

It only takes two or three years if you let it.
dont think for a second you have that much control with an engine builder.there are alot of circumstances to hold up a build understand if he is really good he doesnt make a living only doing buick motors.there are lists and parts that can slow a build